Best Coco Chanel Quotes

1. A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.  

2. Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.

3. In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.


4. A women who doesn't wear perfume has no future.


5. Fashion fades, only style remains the same.

6. As long as you know men are like children, you know everything!

7. Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.

8. I am not young but I feel young. The day I feel old, I will go to bed and stay there. J'aime la vie! I feel that to live is a wonderful thing.


9. Women have always been the strong ones of the world. The men are always seeking from women a little pillow to put their heads down on. They are always longing for the mother who held them as infants.

10. Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.


11. Success is often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable.


12. The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.


13. Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.

14. I don't know why women want any of the things men have when one the things that women have is men.


15. Elegance does not consist in putting on a new dress.

16. A woman has the age she deserves.

17. Fashion is always of the time in which you live. It is not something standing alone. But the grand problem, the most important problem, is to rejuvenate women. To make women look young. Then their outlook changes. They feel more joyous.

18. Women must tell men always that they are the strong ones. They are the big, the strong, the wonderful. In truth, women are the strong ones. It is just my opinion, I am not a professor.


19. As soon as you set foot on a yacht you belong to some man, not to yourself, and you die of boredom.

20. Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.

21. Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.

22. There are people who have money and people who are rich.

23. Fashion is made to become unfashionable.


24. Jump out the window if you are the object of passion. Flee it if you feel it. Passion goes, boredom remains.

25. There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time!

26. Gentleness doesn't get work done unless you happen to be a hen laying eggs.

27. Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.


28. How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.


29. Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress.



30. Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.

31. I never wanted to weigh more heavily on a man than a bird.


32. My friends, there are no friends.

33. Those who create are rare; those who cannot are numerous. Therefore, the latter are stronger.

34. Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death.

35. I invented my life by taking for granted that everything I did not like would have an opposite, which I would like.

36. There have been several Duchesses of Westminster but there is only one Chanel!


37. Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them.

38. Elegance is refusal.

39. It is always better to be slightly underdressed.

40. Great loves too must be endured.

41. It's probably not just by chance that I'm alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he's terribly strong. And if he's stronger than I, I'm the one who can't live with him…I'm neither smart nor stupid, but I don't think I'm a run-of-the-mill person. I've been in business without being a businesswoman, I've loved without being a woman made only for love. The two men I've loved, I think, will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness. I've done my best, in regard to people and to life, without precepts, but with a taste for justice.


42. Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.

43. My life didn't please me, so I created my life.

44. If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.

45. "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed".

46. I don't do fashion, I AM fashion.


47. I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.


48. The best color in the whole world is the one that looks good on you.

49. I wanted to give a woman comfortable clothes that would flow with her body. A woman is closest to being naked when she is well-dressed.


50. Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.

51. You can be gorgeous at thirty, charming at forty, and irresistible for the rest of your life.

52. Adornment, what a science! Beauty, what a weapon! Modesty, what elegance!


53. A woman can be over dressed but never over elegant.


54. Only those with no memory insist on their originality.


55. Arrogance is in everything I do. It is in my gestures, the harshness of my voice, in the glow of my gaze, in my sinewy, tormented face.

56. Fashion has two purposes: comfort and love. Beauty comes when fashion succeeds.


57. A beautiful dress may look beautiful on a hanger, but that means nothing. It must be seen on the shoulders, with the movement of the arms, the legs, and the waist.

58. There is nothing more comfortable than a caterpillar and nothing more made for love than a butterfly. We need dresses that crawl and dresses that fly. Fashion is at once a caterpillar and a butterfly, caterpillar by day, butterfly by night.

59. Coquetry, it's a triumph of the spirit over the senses.


60. I imposed black; it still going strong today, for black wipes out everything else around.


61. Innovation! One cannot be forever innovating. I want to create classics.

62. There is no fashion for the old.

63. Youth is something very new: twenty years ago no one mentioned it.


64. There goes a woman who knows all the things that can be taught and none of the things that cannot be taught.






65. A style does not go out of style as long as it adapts itself to its period. When there is an incompatibility between the style and a certain state of mind, it is never the style that triumphs.


66. It is the unseen, unforgettable, ultimate accessory of fashion that heralds your arrival and prolongs your departure.


67. Material things aside, we need no advice but approval.

68. I love luxury. And luxury lies not in richness and ornateness but in the absence of vulgarity. Vulgarity is the ugliest word in our language. I stay in the game to fight it.


69. If a man talks bad about all women, it usually means he was burned by one woman.


70. One can get used to ugliness, but never to negligence.

71. An elegant woman should be able to do her marketing without making housewives laugh. Those who laugh are always right.

72. Nothing goes out of fashion sooner than a long dress with a very low neck.


73. Fashion has become a joke. The designers have forgotten that there are women inside the dresses. Most women dress for men and want to be admired. But they must also be able to move, to get into a car without bursting their seams! Clothes must have a natural shape.




74. Why am I so determined to put the shoulder where it belongs? Women have very round shoulders that push forward slightly; this touches me and I say: "One must not hide that!" Then someone tells you: "The shoulder is on the back". I have never seen women with shoulders on their backs.


75. A fashion that does not reach the streets is not a fashion.


76. True generosity means accepting ingratitude.

77. Luxury is a necessity that begins where necessity ends.

78. Scheherezade is easy; a little black dress is difficult.

79. When I can no longer create anything, I'll be done for.

80. I've never done anything by halves.


What do you think of the best Coco Chanel quotes?



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts