Mariah Carey Quotes

1. Butterflies are always following me, everywhere I go.


2. One day I promised God that if he would give me my voice back I would never smoke again. I got three octaves back after quitting.

3. Never, never listen to anybody that try to discourage you.


4. I'd rather be onstage with a pig - a duet with Jennifer Lopez and me just ain't going to happen.


5. There is a light at the end of the tunnel…hopefully it's not a freight train!

6. I don't think anyone knows as much about what's right for me as I do.


7. A lot of people are singing about how screwed up the world is, and I don't think that everybody wants to hear about that all the time.




8. If critics have problems with my personal life, it's their problem. Anybody with half a brain would realize that it's the charts that count.


9. Forget the image, forget the ensemble, forget the rumours, forget the short skirts, the big hair, whatever! I owe this to the fans and I will never forget you so I want to accept this award on behalf of all of you.


10. I'm not one of those people that goes into details of my personal life on national TV to get attention. Some things are better left unsaid.


11. Basically, I started singing when I started talking. Music has just been my saving grace my whole life.

12. If you see me as just the princess then you misunderstand who I am and what I have been through.

13. I'm not vain, I'm insecure. 


14. My mother is Irish, my father is black and Venezuelan, and me - I'm tan, I guess.



15. Whatever you're going through in your life, don't ever give up.

16. Pregnancy was probably the best and the hardest thing I'll ever go through. I know for a lot of women, it can be wonderful and relatively easy.


17. I always felt like the rug could be pulled out from under me at anytime. And coming from a racially mixed background, I always felt like I didn't really fit in anywhere.




18. I definitely feel more complete than before. There's a void you have when you don't feel you've found the other part of who you are, so I'm in a different place now and that's nice to experience.


19. I do not think I reinvent myself. Wearing my hair differently or changing my style of dress is playing dress-up. I don't take it too seriously.


20. I don't mind being compared to Whitney, there are people miles worse to be compared to.


21. I hope to be around past the 90's. I don't want to just be categorized as one of this era. My goal is to have a career that stands.


22. I try not to be a jerk. I really do. I try to be nice and cordial.



23. I understand people want to hold on to their roots.

24. I used to be able to slim down just by exercising more, but that's changed.


25. I work myself into the ground. But I think I'm a nice friend and a good person, and I try to do my work as best I can.



26. I'm very hard on myself and I have too many issues.

27. I've seen the real extreme diva behaviour and I don't think that's who I am.


28. In this world, I call the shots and I think I know best.



29. My heart has never been broken, I've never broken anyone else's.



30. It's hard to be someone that people talk about and write about, you know? They don't know me.

31. Since having the babies, I realize that 90 percent of losing weight is my diet.


32. My father identified as a black man. No one asked him because he was clearly black. But people always ask me. If we were together, people would look at us in a really strange way. It sucked. As a little girl I had blond hair and they'd look at me, look at him, and be disgusted.

33. People are constantly asking me if I'm pregnant, but I don't like to talk about it too much. I just think about it as the next phase. We'll see.





34. This is for all of you out there tonight, reaching for a dream - don't ever give up! Never ever listen to anyone, when they try to discourage you, because they do that, believe me!


35. Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff.



36. You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say: "I'm proud of what I am and who I am, and I'm just going to be myself."


37. You really just want to know that somebody loves you for you. Sometimes you feel like an ATM machine with a wig on it.





38. We can make a million promises but still wont change. It isn't right to stay together when we bring each others pain.


39. It's in my genes. My mother was an opera singer. I'm clearly dramatic.






40. If you see me as just the princess then you misunderstand who I am and what I have been through.

41. (on her parents' divorce) They went through some very hard times before I was born. They had their dogs poisoned, their cars set on fire and blown up. It put a strain on their relationship that never quit. There was always this tension. They just fought all the time. 


42. I've always said that my father is half black and half Venezuelan and my mother is Irish. But people don't understand. They can't fathom that I'm African American, Venezuelan and Irish.

43. If you don't know me at this point. Then I highly doubt you ever will. I really need you to give me that unconditional love I used to feel. It's a mistake, if we just erase it, from our hearts and minds.


44. What I write is all from my imagination. Fact is, I haven't had time to experience all that, but that doesn't mean to say that I don't write from the heart, because I do. I put myself in other women's shoes, I can feel their pain and joy when I think about it. It's all the same, we're all women.

45. I can remember when I told myself for the first time: "I'm going to be rich and famous". I was about 5 or 6. I was in my mother's car, an old green dirty car. My sister was there too. She was humming; she was about 15, she had just gotten married because she was pregnant. We were on a supermarket parking lot, and I was looking at the wealthy people through the window; I told myself "I am going to be a star and I'll buy all these things for us."

46. I don't know why, but everybody thinks that I'm short. When they see me for the first time, women are always surprised to be obliged to raise their head.







47. I'd humbly like to become an inspiration to the biracial kids, who are the population of the new millennium. I'm everything and nothing at the same time: white, black and Latino. If I've managed to be accepted, the others can do it, too.


48. There's never been anything else in my life that inspired me at all. It's crazy, but I've always loved music and I've always known this was what I wanted to do. I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a singer.







49. I rarely go to bed before 5 or 6 am. I am a girl of the night. I hate getting up before 2pm. And when I get up, I don't have breakfast, just a slice of pizza. I'm composing my songs in bed, because I'm getting inspired when I'm about to sink into sleep. The night inspires me.


50. Someone said I never paid any dues. I feel my whole life was struggling, because we were poor. We were alone, we had nothing - no security. I feel I have paid my dues. I've been paying my dues all my life.

51. There was a time when all I was allowed to do was go to gay clubs, because my quote-unquote husband was so afraid of me being around straight people.


52. One person could say: "Hero is a schmaltzy piece of garbage", but another person can write me a letter and say: "I've considered commiting suicide every day of my life for the last ten years until I heard that song and I realized after all I can be my own hero." And that, that's an unexplainable feeling, like I've done something with my life, ya know?

53. A lot of the time they (the media) form the idea in listeners' minds. Calling me a "pop diva" without listening to my work so when I come out with an urban song it's like: "Pop diva goes black".


54. I decided to make my own ski-wear range after I found there were no fashion outfits for me to wear on the piste.








55. I prayed very hard for this to happen and it happened. I don't even think about what I've achieved, I haven't focused on it and I wish I had, because I really want to enjoy it, and I don't know if I am enjoying it, because I am going through my life like a bulldozer. I still haven't marveled at it. 


56. (on glamor influences) Raquel Welch, Ursula Andress; I liked their little ensembles… You've got to throw Farrah Fawcett in there, too. I had the Farrah doll. She was my little style inspiration.


57. I was the world's worst waitress.

58. In this world, I call the shots and I think I know best.

59. I can still count on one hand the number of men I've slept with.




What do you think of Mariah Carey's quotes?




Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts