Diane Von Furstenberg Quotes

1. When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.


2. The most important relationship in your life is the relationship you have with yourself. Because no matter what happens, you will always be with yourself.

3. You're always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.

4. Now is the time to become a myth.


5. The biggest mistake a woman can make is not to be herself in public or private.



6. Attitude is everything.




7. I design for the woman who loves being a woman.

8. The girls who were unanimously considered beautiful often rested on their beauty alone. I felt I had to do things, to be intelligent and develop a personality in order to be seen as attractive. By the time I realized maybe I wasn't plain and might even possibly be pretty, I had already trained myself to be a little more interesting and informed.


9. I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I always knew the woman I wanted to be.

10. In all circumstances, I always look for the light and build around it, with little memory of pain.

11. New York seemed as young as I was and infinitely hospitable.

12. I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are.


13. Go to a place where you're not going to be stressed, because a honeymoon itself can be a stressful thing.






14. Just don't go to a place where everything is too expensive... it'll put your husband in a bad mood.

15. My clothes are great for a honeymoon: They're light and sexy, colorful and pretty, and not expensive.


16. The important thing is to take your time and not get stressed.



17. Bali and the Aman resorts are all very luxurious, great places to go.

18. Harbour Island in the Bahamas is beautiful, with turquoise water and pink sand.


19. I travel in so many different ways; I travel high, I rough it... it all depends on who I travel with.

20. I had arranged a birthday party for him and my children, who are all Aquarians. Instead, we got married. I ran out of excuses. It was just us and my children.


21. If you like trekking, go to the Himalayas or Peru. I love those kinds of trips. But it all depends on your own life and what you like and what you expect.


22. Italy will always have the best food.



23. Ireland is also quite nice. So is Amsterdam.

24. My son loves the Hotel du Cap, in the south of France.


25. The minute a little girl is born, she is already the woman she will be. So to empower a little girl is to empower the woman she will become.






26. (on designing her iconic wrap dress) Well, if you're trying to slip out without waking a sleeping man, zips are a nightmare. Haven't you ever tried to creep out of the room unnoticed the following morning? I've done that many times.


27. (on her wrap dress) I had a very down-to-earth product, my wrap dress, which was really a uniform. It was just a simple little cotton-jersey dress that everybody loved and everybody wore. That one dress sold about 3 or 4 million. I would see 20, 30 dresses walking down one block. All sorts of different women. It felt very good. Young and old, and fat and thin, and poor and rich.


28. (on her wrap dress) It's more than just a dress; it's a spirit. The wrap dress was an interesting cultural phenomenon, and one that has lasted 30 years. What is so special about it is that it's actually a very traditional form of clothing. It's like a toga, it's like a kimono, without buttons, without a zipper. What made my wrap dresses different is that they were made out of jersey and they sculpted the body.


29. We are living in such a troubled world that fashion seems completely irrelevant. Yet…it's a very, very mysterious thing. Why all of a sudden do people like yellow? Why all of a sudden do people wear combat boots? 






30. (on her first marriage and career) The minute I knew I was about to be Egon's wife, I decided to have a career. I wanted to be someone of my own, and not just a plain little girl who got married beyond her desserts.


31. (on her second marriage) We met 32 years ago, lived together and fell in love, and then I left him, very abruptly. But he was always there somehow, even though I was having other relationships, and we always thought, maybe, one day, we would get married. It was something we said we would do when we got old. And then one day it was his birthday and I didn't know what to give him - so I said: "If you want, I will marry you for your birthday." So we went to City Hall with my children and my brother and we got married.

32. (about her mother) She was extraordinary. She survived the camps at the age of 22, she taught me only to look at positive things no matter what happens. When she talked about the camps, she talked about the camaraderie. I think she was trying to protect me. She only weighed 49 pounds when she came out, but I was born 18 months later. I was her victory.

33. I want to really work on all the benefits this membership gives. The most important thing - and I would like this to be my legacy - is to really create an incredible network service system. I would like to go to the mayor and see what he can do for us. Our mayor appreciates that the fashion business is a huge business, and I would like to see what we can do together. We will have to talk about the endowment, and overall, create more of a brand for the CFDA, which is something I know how to do.


34. One of my fondest memories was when I was in London as a young, independent businesswoman and stayed at Claridge's. I knew I had made it. To me, Claridge's is the most glamourous hotel in the world; I regard it as my home away from home. I am honoured to become part of the hotel's legacy and rich design history.

35. Women never cease to impress and inspire me.

36. Our First Lady, Michelle Obama, has been wonderful at promoting our designers, so we were surprised and a little disappointed not to be represented for this major state dinner.


37. I said that Mrs Obama has been extremely supportive of American designers, but clearly we were disappointed that she chose to wear a British designer for the state dinner…From there, I was so embarrassed that I am definitely going to write to her. She has been super supportive to American designers.

38. Makeup should have one function only - to make you look better, to make you more attractive…Makeup is a luxury, so it should be fun…Making up is like telling yourself a secret.


39. It's important to leave your face without makeup for a while after waking up…Let your skin breathe a while before applying your makeup, even if it means waking up a bit earlier.





40. I sit in the sink (while applying makeup). I do. I've broken more sinks…I sit in the sink, on top of a big square sink in my bathroom with my feet in the basin so I'm very close to the mirror with the good light, and I'm very comfortable. I also manage to put my two phones in the sink so that nothing, but nothing, could get me out of there.


41. I really have fun making up. I have a good face for making up, good bones. I do the shapings, then the eyes. Then I put on mascara and I do something else. Then I put on mascara again and do something else. Then I put on more mascara and my whole face is completely made up.


42. It's very often true that some women look better without makeup, but that's only during the day.


43. Even if your skin is perfect, even if it's glowing and beautiful, electric lights defeat you. They deaden the complexion, make it look drab. They rob you of color…In the evening, you just can't play the natural kid bit, that fresh-scrubbed look.





44. What makes you attractive is being yourself, being natural, being unaware. Even though makeup is important, you should do it all, and then forget about it. You don't want to look like anyone else, any more than you want to be anyone else. You want to look like you. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery - but it's flattering to someone else. Not to you.


45. You don't want to exaggerate any feature noticeably. I think only truly beautiful women can exaggerate and they usually don't have to.




46. No one should notice how your eyes are done or the color of your eyeshadow. They should just notice you and notice that you're beautiful, that you have beautiful eyes.

47. As a little girl I suffered because of my hair, and the more people would tell me how lucky I was that I wouldn't have to have permanents when I grew up, the more I hated them. The people, and my hair…My life became conditioned by my worst enemy, humidity, and a few little rain drops would make me do all kinds of things, like racing across a busy street during a red light.


48. In Sardinia one summer my best friend Marisa Berenson and I ironed each other's hair. We used a hot laundry iron and took turns putting our hair on the ironing board, literally ironing it. That's a recipe for straightening that may be highly successful, but is definitely not recommended.

49. The easier your hair is to manage the happier you'll be with it and the prettier you'll feel.


50. Being attractive for a few hours some evening is hardly worth being that unattractive all day (in hot rollers). Being yourself and being natural with a man is wonderful, but being downright unattractive with him is foolish.





51. It is more important to be pretty as a woman than to be fashionable.

52. One of the most important things about fashion is to dress as well as you can, look as attractive as you can, and at the same time be comfortable with yourself. Be easy about your clothes; forget about them.


53. If you're not sure what to wear, if you don't know how everyone else is going to be, then just be at your most beautiful.




54. If there is one rule for dressing, for fashion, it's pretty much the same rule as for everything else in life: Don't go against yourself, don't go against your own nature. It's only going to show.


55. If you're short, don't wear extremely high heels. After a certain age, you shouldn't wear little girls' clothes. That's going against your nature.

56. Sleep is easier to make up than a unique evening.

57. Resisting a beautiful chocolate cake or a wonderful foie gras is as difficult as (the idea of) saying no to Paul Newman.


58. Taste is acquired. You may have to unlearn a taste for chocolate or ice cream.


59. What you eat is everything. What you eat is what you are.

60. It's more important to be healthy and of good spirit than it is to be thin, just as it's more important to be an attractive woman than a fashionable one.

61. Don't let any of your good habits get boring.

62. Prepare your food attractively and serve it nicely.


63. You cannot have a healthy body without drinking a great deal of water. But remember, you can't just drink a glass of water and tell a glass of water to please go straight to your skin and moisturize your complexion. Water has to be there all the time, doing what it does naturally in a healthy body.

64. If you're a little hippy and full-bosomed, don't try to remake yourself in the image of a skinny fashion model. It won't work. You can trim down your hips. You should always concentrate on special movements to keep your breasts firm and lifted and young. Hippy and bosomy can be very nice, very desirable. Accept it.

65. If you're trying to lose weight, you just have to eat less. I mean that.




66. Don't talk about your diet. It's just boring, and the last thing you need when dieting is to be considered boring.

67. Be proud of yourself. Try to eat well...and when you cheat, enjoy it!


68. Clothes can hide you from yourself but a bikini sure can't.





69. I began to be involved (with exercise). It was a little bit like sex sometimes - you know how sometimes you're kind of disinterested, kind of uninvolved, and slowly you begin to become interested?

70. It's like learning to fall properly. If you can manage not to tighten up you won't hurt yourself as much. The same theory applies to your day, physically and emotionally. The tensions simply can't take hold.


71. I think living is serious. Living well, accepting yourself, using your talents to the fullest, enjoying yourself, that's all serious and important…But I think makeup and fashion should not be taken that seriously…You should have fun making up for a party. You should have fun wearing a sexy dress. When you're beautiful it should give you pleasure.



72. The greatest natural enemy of women is insecurity. We all feel it and we all think we are the only ones who feel that way. How we deal with these fears determines to a great extent how effective we are in running our lives. Most women present a façade to the world and keep the insecurity locked inside. The toughest job in the world is to be a complete, happy woman.


73. That wonderful and terribly frightening journey of self-discovery. That process of growth, of being an independent person, of learning who you are and what you want from life, is the real secret of life, happiness and beauty.




What do you think of Diane von Furstenberg's quotes?



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts