Steve Jobs College Degree

Just in the extremely rare case you haven't heard before of Steve Jobs, Jobs was an American entrepreneur and inventor, best known as the co-founder, chairman and CEO of Apple Inc.




In 1972, Steve Jobs graduated from high school and enrolled in Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Although he dropped out after only one semester, he continued auditing classes at Reed, such as one in calligraphy. "If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts," Jobs was quoted as saying. 


During his 2005 Stanford commencement address, Jobs talked about the story of his brief college experience: at seventeen years old, he enrolled in college and then dropped out six months later. He claimed: "I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure that out." Yet he did not disappear entirely from the college scene. He stayed in town, sleeping on friends' floors and dropping into some college classes that he found interesting. First and foremost among these was a calligraphy class.

"Because I had dropped out and didn't have to take normal classes," Jobs recalled, "I decided to take a calligraphy class...I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle…and I found it fascinating."

It has to be mentioned that Jobs in describing himself he uses the following phrase: "I'm an educational technologist and e-learning person who believes that the disruption caused by modern communication technologies will lead to better systems of higher education and a re-invention of what universities should be about."

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts