Bettie Page Quotes

1. (about her mother - LA Times 3-11-06) All I ever wanted was a mother who paid attention to me. She didn't want girls. She thought we were trouble. She didn't help with homework or teach me to sew or cook. She didn't go to the school plays I was in or go to my high school graduation. When I started menstruating at 13, I thought I was dying because she never taught me anything about that.


2. Being in the nude isn't a disgrace unless you're being promiscuous about it. After all, when God created Adam and Eve, they were stark naked. And in the Garden of Eden, God was probably naked as a jaybird too!


3. I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer. I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time. I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important. I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live.




4. Young women say I helped them come out of their shells, and 13 rock groups have written songs about me. One song has these lyrics all the way through: "I love Bettie Page. I love Bettie Page. I love Bettie Page".


5. Sex is a part of love. You shouldn't go around doing it unless you are in love.




6. I was never one who was squeamish about nudity. I don't believe in being promiscuous about it, but several times I thought of going to a nudist colony.

7. No, I don't think my fans want to see me old and fat. I've got to get another 20-25 lbs. off somehow - remember me as I looked when I was younger. I get sad when I see my favorite movie stars when they're old. Who wants to see Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau now as the "The Odd Couple" (1968)? Jack Lemmon is a fan of mine.


8. I never kept up with the fashions. I believed in wearing what I thought looked good on me.


9. The only person I did bondage for was Irving Klaw and his sister Paula. Usually they would shoot four or five models every Saturday. He wouldn't pay for the regular pictures unless we did some bondage. So I did bondage shots to get paid for the other photos.

10. No, I stopped coloring my hair in October 1978. I was no longer working as a secretary, I was no longer working out in public. I didn't color my hair, it is grey now. In fact I'm worried I'm losing it. Big gobs come out. Used to be it took me two hours to dry my big gob of hair.


11. (Jerry Tibbs was) the one who got me wearing bangs. For years I had my hair parted down the middle in a ponytail, tucked down around the sides. But he said to me: "Bettie, you've got a very high forehead. I think you'd look good if you cut some bangs to cover it." Well, I went and cut the bangs, and I've been wearing them ever since. They say it's my trademark.

12. I was never the girl next door.


13. I'm very sorry that when I turned my life over to the Lord Jesus in January 1959, I threw out all my netstockings, bikinis - some from Frederik's of Hollywood.




14. I love to swim in the nude and roam around the house in the nude. You're just as free as a bird!

15. (about her second husband - LA Times 3-11-06) Six weeks into the marriage, on New Year's Eve 1959, I wanted to go dancing with him at a nightclub. He said he'd rather get drunk with his brothers.


16. It makes me feel wonderful that people still care for me…that I have so many fans among young people, who write to me and tell me I have been an inspiration.







17. I don't know what they mean by an icon. I never thought of myself as being that. It seems strange to me. I was just modeling, thinking of as many different poses as possible. I made more money modeling than being a secretary. I had a lot of free time. You could go back to work after an absence of a few months. I couldn't do that as a secretary.


18. (regarding the title "The Notorious Bettie Page" - 2005): Notorious? That's not flattering at all. They should have used another word.








19. (about her mother's younger lover when he made a move on her - LA Times 3-11-06)  My mother nearly murdered me over that, then made me live with my father. So I couldn't review my exam notes, which were at home. Because of that I got beat out of graduating valedictorian by a quarter of a grade point and lost my dream of getting a scholarship to attend Vanderbilt University. It was the worst disappointment of my life.


20. My favorite actress of all times is Bette Davis in "Dark Victory". I have seen it six or seven times, and I still cry.









What do you think of Bettie Page's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts