Martha Stewart Quotes

1. I would like to be back as early in March as possible so I can plant my spring garden and get things growing again.

2. This is what truly interests us, why we all come to work every day ... our passion is and always should be to make life better.


3. What the heck are girls walking around in Dutch outfits selling tulips... what do they have to do with the brand?

4. This will not only extend our brand but broaden our scope.


5. For me, an American Dream, if you read Theodore Dreiser, or you read other people who have written about what they consider the American Dream, it always has to do with monetary success, or poor boy makes good, or that kind of thing. To me that's not what it's all about. It's about, actually, when you get to be my age, having kind of a serenity about your life, and a good feeling about what you have done and what you can still do. And also, believing all the time that there is the freedom to do what you want to do. The ability, in your walking existence, to go out your front door and not be obstructed in any way. But there are always limitations, and there are limitations that are set by geographical boundaries, territorial boundaries, political boundaries that you have to live with and you have to understand those. We're not so free that we don't have to listen to rules, and laws, and regulations. Those are important. But the spirit, the freedom of the spirit, that's what I think of American Dream, that we are free here to do what we want to do, what we set out to do. 

6. There can be no doubt that the last three years have certainly been an adventure for me and for all of you. Though it was stressful - very stressful - I can say that I don't regret everything.






7. You have to watch the clock constantly because you're only allowed out of your home for a limited period, and for a busy person, watching the clock and knowing other people are watching the clock is extremely difficult.


8. I must reclaim my good life and I must return to my good works.



9. I am very excited about working with a live audience for the first time and relish the idea of hosting a series that is a one-stop destination for all things how-to.

10. I always disagreed with the separation of the name and the brand and the person…To build on that name and brand is one thing. To divorce the name and the brand from the person was not an approach that I agreed with.


11. Many of my executives have worked with me since the beginning. I can be fair and decisive and encouraging as well as demanding.








12. When I was growing up my mom was home. She wanted to go to work, but she waited. She was educated as a teacher. The minute my youngest sister went to school full-time, from first grade, mom went back to work. But she balanced her life. She chose teaching which enabled her to leave at the same time we left, and come home pretty much the same time we came home. She knew how to balance.


13. I really do have rules for running and managing a business that have never been formalized before.






14. I'm used to all kinds of hard work, as you know. I'm not afraid whatsoever.

15. It's totally out of desire and totally out of belief that - not that I am essential, but that I am still a vibrant, wise human being with great dreams for the future, great hopes for the future, a great team to work with and a really great company to be involved with…I mean, this is my life.


16. I know I have a very tough five months ahead of me, but I understand, too, that I will get through those months knowing that I have the ability to return to my productive and normal life, my interesting work and future business opportunities.

17. Donald will be on the show in a cameo where he takes a tour of the loft where the candidates are housed.


18. When I got married and had a child and went to work, my day was all day, all night. You lose your sense of balance. That was in the late '60s, '70s, women went to work, they went crazy. They thought the workplace was much more exciting than the home. They thought the family could wait. And you know what? The family can't wait. And women have now found that out. It all has to do with women, or the homemaker leaving the home and realizing that where they've gone is not as fabulous, or as rewarding, or as self-fulfilling as the balance between the workplace and the home place.

19. (The contestants are) going to get real business lessons, real business advice and, day in and day out, tasks that are difficult and challenging and they're going to be aware of what it takes to be an apprentice at Martha Stewart Living.




20. You can't be sorry for something that let's see, how can I say this? I'm on appeal… You don't appeal if you think that you should be sorry.


21. The subject matter that I am really spending my time on has become an acceptable subject matter. Living, lifestyle, family, is now in the forefront of interest in America, and I've just stuck with it. I mean, I've been doing this for years, and I never got angry. I never said, you know, listen, I'm fighting for this subject. That wasn't my point. My point was to continue working in a subject matter, knowing full well that finally it would be recognized as a viable subject once again.

22. You should never accept when can be offered to you if you feel it can be improved.


23. Many of the candidates were as accomplished or more so than I when I started to build my business. Even so, there are some explosive personalities among the candidates and they really create a lot of tension in the conference room.

24. Gardening is a humbling experience.


25. I try to seek out and surround myself with people who just percolate fresh, original, and creative ideas.




26. No one knows me better than Alexis and she understands my way of conducting business and dealing with people…Charles brings the expertise of a legendary entrepreneur to the conference room each week.

27. It's a how-to show with entertainment and a live audience…It's not a talk show ? I don't see a couch anywhere.


28. Never make a big decision without sleeping on it.


29. Without an open-minded mind, you can never be a great success.  The great artists have been open-minded, even though they may seem, like Picasso, to be very directed, you can be directed and open-minded at the same time. I think you have to be really intensely serious about your work, but not so serious that you can't see the lightness that may also involve your life. You have to have that lightness too. You have to not be so heavy-handed and so ostentatious. It's very important not to be.

30. Getting over those unexpected hurdles may not be exactly enjoyable, but ultimately I believe that such challenges and the solutions we find give us more confidence.They teach us with common sense and determination we can turn what looks like a disaster into a triumph.

31. I have a lot of energy. I have a great desire to absorb information. I'm not a sponge exactly, but I find that something I look at is a great opportunity for ideas. I've been here before, I've seen things before, but now my eye gets keener and keener. So I can pick up little things: just the pattern of a brick walk, or the way they've attached a light to a house.


32. I catnap now and then, but I think while I nap, so it's not a waste of time.


33. I am always asking myself how I can improve the lives of my customers, my colleagues, my shareholders, my family and my friends.





34. I want you to know that I am innocent - and that I will fight to clear my name.

35. (Is this the same old Martha or a new and improved Martha?) You can say "new and improved" if you want...But I don't think there was anything quite wrong with the old one.


36. All the things I love is what my business is all about.








37. I think I've banned couches from the set.

38. Once you realize that you have identified a passion, invest in yourself. Figure out what you need to know, what kind of experience and expertise you need to develop to do the things that you feel in your heart you will enjoy and that will sustain you both mentally and economically.


39. I find that when you have a real interest in life and a curious life, that sleep is not the most important thing.


40. I was married for 30 years. Isn't that enough? I've had my share of dirty underwear on the floor.

41. When faced with a difficult challenge, remember the tools from Chapter 3 - the telescope, the wide-angle lens, and the microscope.


42. My new motto is: When you're through changing, you're through.





43. I think it's very important that whatever you're trying to make or sell, or teach has to be basically good. A bad product and you know what? You won't be here in ten years.

44. I am a hero worshiper. I love the number one tennis player. I love the number one baseball player. I want to see those records broken.


45. I'm a maniacal perfectionist. And if I weren't, I wouldn't have this company...I have proven that being a perfectionist can be profitable and admirable when creating content across the board: in television, books, newspapers, radio, videos.

46. I have a microphone on one ankle and an ankle bracelet on the other, so I'm well balanced today.

47. Giving information that will help everybody live better. That's a teacher's dream - to accumulate information and disperse it in a form that allows people to choose the way they're going to use it. That's what I think I do best.

48. Am I the same girl? Yes, I am…Although I have changed.


49. I live in the same house I've lived in for 25 years. I haven't gone off and bought mansions. Even though my subject is living, living in a mansion wouldn't do for my readers. I have to keep my credibility alive with my readers, so we're in the same place. I just make that place nicer and nicer. And that's a secret. People don't know that. People think, oh, she lives in this fabulous place, but it's the same old place. It started out like a farm, it got to be a farmette, then it got to be an estatelet. I built a wall; it helped a lot. But it's the same place, the same grounded nature.

50. I invented "It's a good thing" before you were even born.

51. I don't even like firing people. I don't think I've ever said: "You're fired" to anybody.


What do you think of Martha Stewart's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts