Liberace Quotes

1. This isn't the most outrageous of my wardrobe but it is the most expensive. Wanna know why? It's the buttons. They're real diamonds, but I couldn't come out here in just the diamonds!


2. People need fantasy. I try to help them do this for a little while, to help them forget work and problems and enjoy, vicariously, a little folderol of fun, good music, and fancy dress. I give them a little recess from the humdrum.


3. When the reviews are bad I tell my staff that they can join me as I cry all the way to the bank.



4. Nakedness makes us democratic, adornment makes us individuals.



5. Nobody will believe in you unless you believe in yourself.


6. Of course, I couldn't go out in the street in clothes like this, I'd get picked up. Come to think of it, it might be fun.


7. (at the 1983 Academy Awards) I made my greatest contribution to motion pictures years ago. I stopped making them.

8. (on playing Radio City Music Hall in the Easter show:) You can have either the Resurrection or you can have Liberace. But you can't have both.

9. (spoken on stage) I didn't get dressed like this to go unnoticed.


10. Too many young performers have forgotten that the most important part of show business is not the second word, it's the first. Without the show there's no business.


11. John Gielgud is so camp! When he took home the Oscar for "Arthur," he said: "Just what I've always wanted - a naked man in my rumpus room."


12. Why don't I just step out and slip into something more spectacular?

13. (responding to a negative review of one of his performances) Your review hurt me! I cried all the way to the bank!

14. Thank you for your very amusing review. After reading it, in fact, my brother George and I laughed all the way to the bank.


15. My costumes have become my trademark and trademarks are hard to come by in show business.





16. I had to dare a little bit. Who am I kidding? I had to dare a lot. Don't wear one ring, wear five or six.

17. The clothes attract attention. They get me newspaper headlines and interviews. They get me audiences.


18. You know that bank I cried all the way to? I bought it!

19. You can't take anything for granted as an entertainer. You have to be surprising, find new things to make the audience stand up and take notice.

20. (when asked how he could play the piano while wearing so many rings) Very well, thank you.

21. What's better than roses on your piano? Tulips on your organ.


22. Gee, you've been such a wonderful audience that I don't like to take your money. But I will!


23. I don't give concerts, I put on a show.

24. The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

25. (to his manager in late 1986) If my fans or the public ever found out that I'm gay or that I have AIDS...that's all they'll ever remember about me.


26. (from his 1973 autobiography) Youthfulness, I guess, will always remain the thing that fans want to see in their favorite performers. They don't like to see them grow old. Possibly because it reminds them that the same thing is happening to them.






What do you think of Liberace's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts