Debbie Reynolds Quotes

1. No, I wouldn't have known how to do it. I needed both the life experience and the years of developing my acting craft.


2. (on her marriage to multi-millionaire Harry Karl, who was 27 years older) I discovered he had gambled all our money away - $50million of his and $100million of mine. I lost my five houses and all my cars - everything I had made from my movies and my records. It took me 14 years to pay off his debts.


3. I do twenty minutes every time the refrigerator door opens and the light comes on.


4. I gave it all that I had, and it's gratifying that others seem to be receiving it so well.

5. I miss the movies. Still, I understood that my kind of movie has had its day. I thought it was over for me.

6. Liz was with Richard Burton and her whole family, all the children and the nannies. I sent a little note to her, saying: "Let's get together to have dinner. It's silly to carry on this fight now that we've both remarried and it's all just sort of ridiculous, isn't it?"  It turned out she'd sent one to me at the same time, so they criss-crossed. We had dinner that night in the main dining room. Heads turned. Cameras were everywhere. People were hiding behind plants taking pictures.


7. (on her first love Robert Wagner) Oh, what might have been. I was 16 and he was a couple of years older. I had a crush on him and the studios fixed up our dates. All we did was kiss, though. He was adorable and so good looking. If I'd married him, I' m sure I would have been happy.




8. Daddy had got us rooms in a motel until he could find us a house. There were not a lot of places available for a young family on our budget. Daddy went around to dozens of places. Nobody wanted kids. Finally, he found one in the hills south of Glendale. As usual, the landlady asked if he had kids. "Yep," he replied. "A boy and a girl." "Well, whatta you going to do about them?" she wanted to know, implying that she didn't allow children. "I'm gonna take'em out and drown them in the Los Angeles River, and come back tomorrow." That was my father - ask a silly question and just wait. She must have had the same sense of humor: we moved in the next day.


9. I quit the act while working on the character - months before we started shooting.

10. I stopped making movies because I don't like taking my clothes off. Maybe it's realism, but in my opinion, it's utter filth.

11. (on Marilyn Monroe) For all her fame and beauty, men took advantage of her.

12. He said: "Debbie, I want your rhythm to be in synch with hers. She doesn't get up in front of strangers and sing or do impressions. She moves to a different beat." So, I stopped doing the act so I could adjust my energy - my timing, my sensitivity - to the appropriate level.


13. I have put all my savings into my private museum - I don't waste money on men any more.


14. (on her husband's affair with Elizabeth Taylor) I was a virgin when I married Eddie, but Elizabeth had been married three times. I was devastated because I had two children. I was very religious so I didn't believe in divorce, but they laid guilt on me that I was keeping them and true love apart. So, I finally let Eddie off the hook. I told him to go.

15. I wanted to be as comfortable in that environment as she was. I moved around those areas in character.


16. Some people think I'm tough. But you have to be in order to make a living in show business for more than 60 years. Besides, I don’t care about what people say about me any more. I am thicker skinned than when I started out.


17. I wanted to get that sense of peace and even boredom that comes with long familiarity.

18. (when asked what her favorite movie is) I think one of my favorite films is "Dark Victory" with Bette Davis. Why? She was so wonderful in that film. And…maybe I just want a good cry once in a while without having to go through a divorce.


19. Well, one of the things I did was recreate her home in my home.


20. You all know who she is. There's very little she isn't.

21. I happen to have married idiots. I made terrible mistakes. I believed men who said: "I love you, you're fabulous, you're wonderful, I want to spend my life with you". I was a gullible fool.

22. (on Gene Kelly) I didn't  like him because he  would make me dance a scene 40 times. My  feet would be bleeding.


23. If I had been up in front of an audience just before playing Mother, I couldn't have had her rhythm, her mood and attitude.



24. I had the sets that meant so much to this character built - right in my home, especially the kitchen, which was important both for her character and for your introduction to her when Albert comes to visit.

25. (on giving up on men) I've had enough. How long would you want me to go on? I don't think one wants to walk into a thrashing machine and be beaten up all the time. Three dreadful marriages is quite enough. I was too trusting with men, but I always thought that you should be. I mean, love is like that.


26. By the time our daughter Carrie was six months old Eddie was not at home or not talking to me when he was.






27. "Singin' in the Rain" (1952) and childbirth were the two hardest things I ever had to do in my life.


What do you think of Debbie Reynolds quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts