Sunday, July 7, 2013

Nigella Lawson Divorce

Rich art collector and global ad agency co-founder Charles Saatchi, 70, has announced he's seeking a divorce from celebrity chef and author Nigella Lawson, 53, just four weeks after he was pictured grabbing her throat at a restaurant in London.


"I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced," Saatchi said in a statement to a British newspaper on Saturday night.


"I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so," Saatchi was quoted as saying.





Saatchi blamed the collapse of the couple's 10-year marriage on pressure from Lawson's publicist to apologize for the assault and make a public admission that he was ashamed.


"I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women and have never abused her physically in any way," Saatchi noted.

According to reports, Saatchi flew off the handle when he was told to take responsibility for the clash and asked his wife: "Are you crazy, you know that's not the truth."

Nigella told him: "I think we have no choice."


The pair then had a furious brawl in which he told her to "pack her bags and go".





Just in case you have missed it, Saatchi was photographed with his hands around Nigella's throat in a series of terrifying photos taken on June 9.

"This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart...The row photographed at Scott's restaurant could equally have been Nigella grasping my neck to hold my attention - as indeed she has done in the past," revealed Saatchi, who was issued with a police caution for battery in the aftermath of the incident.

Check out below Saatchi's full statement:


"I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced.








This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart.

I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am ­disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.


The row photographed at Scott's restaurant could equally have been Nigella grasping my neck to hold my attention - as indeed she has done in the past, although not in front of Scott’s with a photographer snapping away.

I must stress again my actions were not violent. We are instinctively tactile people. Yes, my hands were around her neck, and they had been touching her arm.


Difficult as it may be to believe, for those who have seen the pictures, there was no pressure applied to her.




In fact it was merely a gesture - one to which a still photograph gives a wholly different and incorrect implication.


Nigella has given a statement to the police to support this view.

I am sorry that we had a row. I am sorry that she was upset. I am even more sorry that this is the end of our marriage.

I wish Nigella only the best for the future, and for her continuing global success.


She remains the most wonderful woman in the world. I feel very fortunate to have had such a lovely wife for many years".

Lawson is said to be learning of the divorce for the first time via Saatchi's statement to the Mail on Sunday.




Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.