Christina Hendricks Quotes

1. "Mad Men" seems like a very masculine show but there are women who are obsessed by it. I think woman appreciate seeing female characters that aren't just one dimensional. I certainly don't think that more skin relates to sexiness or femininity. To me, falling out of the top of your pants is quite aggressive. It's so hardcore you feel it's almost being done to you.

2. London Fog is a classic brand, which I love. It also ties into "Mad Men", we used London Fog in the show and this was a nice way to tie everything together. The trench is such an iconic shape for men and women. It works for anyone - it worked in the 1960s and it works now.


3. I have women coming up to me and saying: "I love your character! She's so empowered. She takes control; she gets what she wants." That's another side of her. And I respect that in Joan. She says and does things that I would never allow myself to do.

4. I would hope that people didn't think I was anything like Joan! It's very hard for me because Joan says such cruel things all the time. It sort of makes me cringe every time I read them because I think: "Who could be so horrible?" To be able to deliver those lines and do them with a coolness, yet still make her likable, is a bit of a challenge.

5. I was a goth girl in high school. Perhaps the powdered white face and the black lipstick were not the most attractive. I felt fabulous at the time but looking back, uh, probably not the best idea.

6. I thought, well, you might see curves there, but that's just a bone - so even if I lose weight that's not going to change anything. That's how I look. That's my shape. Do the math.


7. I've never quite felt like I fitted in. It's as if I was invisible before "Mad Men". Now people come up and say: "God, I love the show, I'm so-and-so," and I'm like: "I know, I had dinner with you three years ago".

8. I'm an ambassador for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and one of the children, his wish was to go to the Emmys, so he's going to be my date, along with my husband, and my dad and his girlfriend. So we're going to have a really fun night and it's going to be really exciting. I'm really excited for him to experience that.


9. Instead of trying to downplay your curves, find a designer or style that glorifies them. There are designers who simply don't design for people with shape and there are those - like L'Wren Scott or Roland Mouret - who do exactly that. Once you find what looks best on you, stick with it.

10. Some of the things people have said about me, well, they're unbelievable.


11. I've always been someone who really watches other people, human behavior. To watch it and be able to express it through your version has always been really exciting to me.



12. I think Joan's advice would be: always know more than anyone else, always be discreet as possible. And never cry at work.


13. Matt would go crazy if he saw a defined arm. He's very strict about everything being just right and you have to be very careful when you're doing a period piece. It's important you don't see sculpted 2010 bodies.

14. There are a lot of these young actresses who knit. It started years ago with the models. The models were knitting backstage at the runways, they were drinking champagne and knitting, then all of us wanted to be like the models and we all started doing it. We're a very glamorous bunch; we've got a producer and someone who works at a record company and my best friend who's an actress.


15. In LA you're always in your car and you're separated from people. I don't get hit on much in LA.

16. (on being considered a role model) I'm thrilled, I'd love to be thought of as that.

17. I've been telling everyone for weeks now about how I get to play Lois Lane. It's a big deal. There are a few characters throughout your life which everyone knows and this is one of them. I can't wait.


18. Everyone assumes we're always going to have a cocktail and a cigarette in hand. Fans expect us all to be dressed up all the time. They always say to me: "You look so young. You don't seem as tall!"


19. Joan's a dream to play - she's not always prancing around the office. There's that side to it, which is really fun, but there's nitty-gritty. She's what makes the workplace so fun - in a workplace that can be so dark and so much tension, Joan gives some levity. And the wonderful thing is she still has these darker moments among the fabulous highs.


20. (on her husband) I feel even more nurturing toward him. Now I'm like: "Oh, you're my baby! I gotta take care of you. You've gotta be safe and healthy, and I've got to be sure that you'll be there until the end, because I really love you!" And when something starts to aggravate either of us, it's like: "Wait a minute, this is not a person who does bad things intentionally".

21. I am a good cook. There, I said it. I like to make a bit of everything and I rarely cook the same thing twice. I'm constantly trying new things but our favorites are Indian food. I also like to make soups. We try to keep soups in the fridge all the time. That way, when you feel like a snack, there's always something healthy.

22. I'm happiest with my husband and my best friend. Just hanging out at home or at my best friend's house. It's about having a kindred spirit. It reminds you that in all this chaos when everything can be so nuts and you never know what's genuine and what's not, that you know for sure this is.

23. It just seemed so odd as people had never commented on my body before. Every woman obsesses over her figure, but I was happy, I felt sexy - I never thought about it. I know this sounds naive, but I honestly never expected this kind of attention.

24. We have defined these characters - people always expect to see me in a pencil skirt. When they see me out of one - much like when they see Jon Hamm's hair when it isn't slick - they say: "Wait a minute, you're all 2010!"


25. Really? They don't say Jessica Alba? 'Cause that's what I say! It's such a compliment, because of all those times I had agents who were like: "You have to lose some weight," and all of a sudden, people are celebrating it. It's like: "Oh, thank you! Thank you for letting me be me".



26. I adore the incredibly tight clothing! My own wardrobe's changed - I've streamlined a little bit and definitely learnt from Joan's sleekiness and tailoring.

27. I sing a bit and I would like to pursue possibly doing a musical or something. I'm still plugging away at my accordion. I'm quite nerdy and goofy. Joan is so poised and pulled together. I'm sort of notorious for making a corn salad and forgetting the corn. But I'm getting much better.





28. We love your body. If we're in love with you, we love your body. Your potbelly, everything. Speaking of your body, you don't understand the power of your own smell. Any woman who is currently with a man is with him partly because she loves the way he smells.


29. I met a lot of young girls modeling and they were like: "Oh, I'm running around town and people are taking my picture", while I was saving receipts and learning how to be self-employed.




30. I just keep praying for Joan to get her power back. To resolve her problems and rise to the top. To fight back!

31. We remember forever what you say about the bodies of other women. It's not about whether or not we approve of the comment. It's about learning what you think is sexy and how we might be able to convey it. The men who constantly stare at our breasts are never the men we're attracted to.


32. We were probably the last people in the country to get a VCR and we didn't have cable. There wasn't any admiration of glamour, no: "I want to look like them or have that lifestyle", because everyone in my town had the same lifestyle. So I didn't think: "Ooh, a movie star's birthday!" I just thought: "What?"

33. As for the herbal cigarettes, for the most part I don't smoke as much as the guys do. I'm usually just strutting around a bit more so I don't actually have to be inhaling it. I'm lucky because I do have scenes where the cigarettes work beautifully to punctuate certain things I'm saying.

34. My husband says: "What Joan walk? You've always walked that way!"


35. The only things that will get a married man laid that won't get a single man laid are adultery and w--. Intelligence and humor (and your smell) are what get you laid. That's what got you laid when you were single. That's what gets you laid when you're married. Everything still works in marriage: especially intelligence and humor. Because the sexiest thing is to know you.

36. I can't just throw on a backless dress or flimsy top with spaghetti straps. I need a bra!


37. I dyed my hair about 42 different colors, and kids can be pretty judgmental about people who are different. But instead of breaking down and conforming, I stood firm. That is also probably why I was unhappy.

38. It kind of hurt my feelings at first. Anytime someone talks about your figure constantly, you get nervous, you get really self-conscious. I was working my butt off on the show, and then all anyone was talking about was my body!


39. People have been saying some nice, wonderful things about me. Yet not one designer in town will loan me a dress. They only lend out a size 0 or 2. So I'm still struggling for someone to give me a darn dress. This has always been my size. I've worked on other shows with this same size but "Mad Men" celebrates it and that is nice.

40. In the beginning, it was odd to have so much attention brought to my body type. I thought, "Uh-oh, brace yourself." But everyone has been so positive. During the first season, a woman came up to me at dinner and said: "I just want to thank you - watching you has made me proud of my body." I thought, What an amazing thing for someone to say! To make anyone feel good about themselves makes me feel good.

41. Highlight the things you like. I like my small waist, so whenever I wear a dress or blouse, I always make sure you can see my waistline. It gives me more of an hourglass shape.


42. I'm waiting for the backlash and every season I think: "Can we do it again?" But (Exec producer) Matthew Weiner just keeps doing it. At some point some really mean person is going to go, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.






43. The way we dress on "Mad Men" is so associated with old photographs, with people's parents and grandparents. In person, I wear jeans and flip-flops and people are so shocked. They tell me I look so much younger than they expected.


What do you think of Christina Hendricks' quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts