Hugh Grant Quotes

1. The truth is, I'd never seen a Cary Grant film. Since then I have watched his stuff and it's astounding, but I don't see any similarity between us. Except for the fact that I'm told he used to wear ladies' underwear, which is something I also do.

2. My theory is there is great comedy writing in America, but it has migrated over to television in the last ten or 20 years; that's why they've got such successful TV shows.


3. I just don't believe in love at first sight any more, even though I've based my whole career on the concept. In my experience, power, money and influence always attract the opposite sex. It's something that I've always exploited - with good results.

4. Plus, teaching brings home to you very fast that you actually know nothing. I didn't realize that before.


5. The reason I turn down 99% of a hundred, I mean a thousand, scripts is because romantic comedies are often very romantic but seldom very funny.




6. Well, you know I have an office, my film offices. So I know that syndrome. I fancy offices, so there must be something wrong with me. Even the window cleaner intrigues me. It's a very sexy environment.


7. Strangely enough I'm better on a stage. I love that I feel like I blossom in front of a whole bunch of people.

8. Nevertheless it opened a door to acting and I didn't know what else to do with my life so I thought I'd that for a year and then it's a laugh that's gone on for 18 years.


9. (on Robert Pattinson) Even though I haven't watched yet the 2nd part of "Twilight" I fully understand the obsession with Robert. I think he is really hot!

10. No, I wasn't happy as a teenager at all, especially with my hair.


11. (on Elizabeth Hurley) Neither Elizabeth or I are keen to do a real-life couple on the screen. It's not very electric.

12. I don't have any particular burning desire to go back to being cuddly. Not really.

13. The first time I open my mouth in the read through. You sit there, palms sweating and turning the pages, thinking and whatever I say on the first few pages comes out in this horrible kind of barked monotone.


14. The moral of filmmaking in Britain is that you will be screwed by the weather.





15. Basically, my life is so boring, it's embarrassing.

16. Being a well-known person with a bit of money has had an extremely alluring effect on women up to now. It's by no means a curse; it's a blessing.


17. Well, yeah. I mean, I'm sick to death of Mister Nice Guy, I've done way too much of it recently.

18. I could do with more mobbing. Particularly from women. I'd like to be treated like Ricky Martin.

19. I was thinking on the plane yesterday how pathetic it is to be dreading the read-through after 25 films and 18 years of acting. I mean real terror.


20. Most actors really love it, that's what they want to do. They burn to do it. And so they'll read a script and think, that's an interesting part. And because they love acting, that blinds them to the fact that the rest of it is pretentious nonsense, which it very often is.

21. The only reason my work seems to be eclectic up to a certain period is because I was a failure as an actor.





22. I've always enjoyed sex scenes, though you're not really supposed to. The classic answer is: "Oh, it's not sexy at all because there are so many technicians standing around." But I've always found them extremely arousing.


23. I had a huge crush on Olga Korbut, the gymnast. The only other person was Cliff Richard, which is embarrassing, it means that when I was seven I had bad taste and was presumably gay.


24. This part was great fun and I enjoyed working with Martine very much. I hear she said I was a good kisser. Well, I can tell you she's not bad either. In fact, she's very good indeed.


25. (on playing the bad guy in films) Now, I quite like it. For years I sat in these interviews and everyone said: "You're always Mister Nice Guy, why don't you ever play someone nasty?" So in fact it's been a relief to be…for the real me to come out more on camera.

26. I'm a laugh tart. I make no secret of that fact.


27. And because I rather hate acting, my eyes are seeing something different. I'm looking for reasons not to do it!

28. As much as I adore myself, I'm quite keen to find someone else to care about more.

29. Women are frightening. If you get to 41 as a man, you're quite battle-scarred.


30. When I think about actors I know, I'd much rather hear about who they're shagging than what film they're doing next.





31. Because you've heard this before - any man will tell you that we don't necessarily want what we see in Vogue or whatever.

32. Having the gene that makes you want to be famous is like being born with a deformity.


33. And film acting is incredibly tedious, just by its nature. It's incredibly, mind numbingly slow.






34. And I particularly like the whole thing of being boss. Boss and employee…It's the slave quality that I find very alluring.

35. But I'm not in a hurry to go and sit in big development meetings and make great, big commercial films. I do have a touch of apathy about that.


36. (on his screen fight with Colin Firth in Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - 2004) It was the same approach as the first one, which was just to make sure that it was as crap as we wanted it to be. The key is to stop the stunt coordinator from coming in to make it look like a film fight. We just wanted it to be two pathetic Englishmen scared of each other, throwing their handbags at each other basically.

37. With 2 movies opening this summer, I have no relaxing time at all. Whatever I have is spent in a drunken stupor.


38. But no, there's no one in particular that I have a real urge to work with.




39. I find it hard to understand why Scorsese has never called. You know, given the natural menace I bring to the screen.

40. I don't think there's much point in putting me a deep, dark, heavy, emotional film because there are people who do it so much better than I do.


41. I mean, I feel other pressure from the British tabloids, but I don't feel that particular pressure.






42. I think film acting's just a miserable experience. It's so long and so boring and so difficult to get right so that what you need above all is incredible willpower and strength of mind.


43. I had Courtney Love's left bosom out of her dress on my plate in front of me. It was extraordinary. I didn't know where to look.



44. You know everyone loves to be the villain.

45. I was best man to my brother, and I am quite proud of the speech I made; it did turn out to be quite funny.


46. I think maybe in a way it gets worse because you come in with a real reputation and they've paid you lots of money and all that.





47. (on his thoughts of Julia Roberts) Very big-mouthed! Literally, physically, she has a very big mouth. It is a very big mouth. When I was kissing her I was aware of a faint echo.


48. I cling to the fantasy that I could have done something more creative. Like actually writing a script, or writing a book. But the awful truth is that I...probably can't!




49. For any new technology there is always controversy and there always some fear associated with it. I think that's just the price of being first sometimes.


50. I'd never done a film with a child in a leading role before, so I was very keen that we got it right and was very interfering in terms of casting.





51. I've got four houses in my street. I live in two and the others are empty. I'll buy more as they come up, because I think it would be great to have the entire street.


52. But when you're a celebrity, you discover that you're no longer the pursuer, but the one being pursued. That's one of the disappointments I have had since becoming a single man.



53. I'm not quite as extreme a case as Will is but certainly I have spent a lot of time in my life sitting around in the afternoon watching Countdown, being a bit lazy, and being shallow in terms of life goals and relationships.


54. But I just know from experience that accent wise, even if you're an accent genius, crossing the Atlantic is the hardest thing in the world either way.




55. I watch an awful lot of women's sport recently. I don't know what that means about me. I watch the women's golf. I watch the women's tennis very much.


56. I'm sure I've said to you a billion times that I keep thinking I'm about to write a brilliant script.





57. I don't particularly like babies. I don't mind them for about four minutes. That's my max. After that I can't quite see what everyone's fussing about.

58. I think that's the whole point of Bridget Jones. It's all about that it's okay to fail.


59. My father was in carpets for years. He didn't really love carpets, but he became pretty good at... flogging them!



60. (on being called posh by the media) I do, kind of, want to ram their microphones down their patronizing throats.


What do you think of Hugh Grant's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts