Will Arnett Quotes

1. I was a bad kid for a while. I'd break curfew, smoke bud, drink booze, all the usual stuff. My parents sent me to an all-boys boarding school when I was 12 - a school designed to even out uneven boys - and I was constantly caught smoking. You had to chop wood if you got caught smoking, so I was always chopping wood. It was a very outdoorsy school. You got graded on white-water canoeing, or they'd send you out into the woods with a pack of matches and you had to build a quinzhee and survive out there for a few days. I liked that aspect of it. When I was 16 they asked me not to return. I technically wasn't kicked out, but I guess they caught me smoking and drinking one too many times. I still look back at it fondly as the place I learned to smoke. I can kill butts with the best of them. 

2. Well, we were never coming back to Fox…that was clear.


3. I mean, I gotta say one of the greatest victories on that show was when we got picked up for the back nine of the first season, and they made it a full order.





4. And we…right from moment one, we were always kinda up against the wall a little bit when it came to the future of the show. There were always rumors.


5. It doesn't look great if you cancel the reigning Best Comedy Program, you know, you're gonna take a hit from a...from sort of a public relations standpoint.


6. There's a lot of lying and these are people who are incredibly flawed, and not in very sort of empathetic ways, either. Some of the things they do are pretty awful and some of the things they do to each other are pretty awful.


7. Look, I get it; you come home, you work hard, and you turn on your TV...You kind of want to escape a little bit and be taken away by something. Our show required you to pay attention, and if that's not what you wanted to do, then it wasn't going to be for you, and that's OK.





8. Because I think a lot of people felt like, ultimately - and this isn't the first time I've said this, so I'll bore you again with it - but ultimately it was...I think it felt like homework a bit for people.



9. Arrested Development opened a lot of doors for me.


10. Most shows, you really have to force it. And everybody's nervous, and the network is nervous, and they've all got their notepads out, and they're all going to give notes on what they think is funny, and everybody's trying to spin their jokes, and this was so - the script was so good that we didn't have to really do anything, and it made it so easy for us to do well.

11. But as a result of that, there was, once the show ended, there was this talk for sort of four, five months about what was going to happen, and if we were going to move to Showtime, and if we were going to be bought by ABC or whatever.

12. No, Arrested Development was such an amazing experience in every way, and you know it was very unique in that it was a show that received a lot of critical acclaim, and yet we didn't ever achieve the ratings that we wanted.



13. This pilot, by far, was the best I ever read - and I hope that insults every other pilot I worked on.


14. But since day one, we've always been kinda up against it. So at the end, it's not surprising that we were kind of led along for so many months and didn't know what the fate of the show was gonna be. It was…in a weird way, just kind of that was the way it's always been.

15. Well, yeah. At a certain point, you've got to be really honest with yourself. Like: "Why am I doing this? What are my motivations?" Like, if you get into it because you want to be famous? Then you've got a long row to hoe. But if you really feel like it's a labour of love and it's something you're actually legitimately good at, then it's not that hard to keep plugging away.

16. The show had run its course on the Fox network.



17. When it sort of finally sets in that you're not going to be doing that anymore…it's disappointing.

18. Yeah, you know, within the context of TV families, these are pretty unsavory characters.



19. Well, no, I didn't because I didn't even know the nominations were coming out. I gotta say, it wasn't even on my radar. I hadn't...I hadn't even thought about it.


20. My first movie was this independent that I did on the Erie Canal in 1995, called Erie, that I don't know if you could even get, actually with Felicity Huffman. And then from that I did this film that was eventually called The Broken Giant later that fall. And then I kind of started getting into doing pilots.




21. And I think that at a certain point, after all the time and all the conjecture and everything that had kind of gone on surrounding this show, I think that Mitch just felt like it was time to let it go. It was best for the show.



22. (on making his children understand who's in charge) That's my wife, then the nanny, then the dog, the neighbour across the street who's got a glass eye, and the dude I'm guessing is our gardener. 


23. And then we've got Blades of Glory, and we've got Brothers Solomon, and I've got a script in development with this guy Chuck Martin who used to write on Arrested, and, you know, we have a few things in various stages of development.


What do you think of Will Arnett's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts