Solange Knowles Quotes

1. (on Beyonce's privacy) It has really gotten out of hand. I've been doing my best at keeping my mouth shut…but the ignorance is really sad and upsetting…We are supposed to be super human and watch people we love get slandered, lied on, and ridiculed. It is one of THE hardest things to accept.


2. Traveling is definitely something that your average 17-year-old doesn't get to do. One week we're in Japan, one week we're in Australia, one week we're back home going to football games.


3. I've never painted myself as team natural vice president. I don't know the lingo and I don't sleep with a satin cap…My hair is not very important to me…so I don't encourage it to be important to you…I don't want to talk about no damn hair…no mo…Just having a moment to express my disdain for the Natural Hair police of the world.


4. The more experienced you are and the more people you meet and the more confident you get in your artistry, you fight to say: "Hey, this is what I want."


5. (via Essence) I love my hair because it's versatile and empowering, and it makes a statement. There is no better accessory than my fro. Everyone knows I'm obsessed with Diana Ross. I often use her Afros as examples. But I have to admit, I've never quite seen one like my mom's in photos from back in the day. I've played with many silhouettes and textures. I've styled it in a triangle, added pieces for length, and compacted it for a tight square crop. I don't believe that there's such a thing as complete originality. All you can do is take the power of something so legendary and try to put your own stank on it.

6. My hair is not a storage drawer.



7. One time they yelled "cut", and we were just going at it, but we were like, this is some real stuff, we got some beef to work out.

8. One of the reasons I went off of Instagram - because I was on there for a little while - is because, you know, I would post pictures of my son or my friends, and they'd be criticized. My whole thing is that I'm completely, fully capable of handling negativity for myself. But to put that kind of access to negativity behind people who didn't even ask for it was really troubling to me.


9. The Hadley Street Dream is a tribute to making a vision come to life. My father built a compound on a dessert city block, he saw something in that space we couldn't see. It was years later the album was born right there on Hadley St. He built the studio I started recording the album at.

10. (on her style heroes) My mom in the '70s and '80s! She was a bad b*tch. "Sex and the City" totally jacked her steez on the camels. I have a pic of her on a camel ride in Egypt in the '80s serving the hell out of that desert! Also, Diana Ross, The Fela Kuti Queens, Björk, '70s-era Chaka Khan, Chloë Sevigny, '90s Erykah Badu

11. When you're younger, you get shoved a lot. You don't really have a say-so.






12. You get educated by traveling.

13. (on her secret style weapon) Shoes! I'm all about the shoes! I order a ton of them online and play with my entire wardrobe until I find the right shoe. Unfortunately, so many people get it right from the head until the ankles. The shoe is very important. I can't even fu*k with you if your shoe game is slacking.


14. When you do (a) tumblr post, speak about things in interviews, tweet, issues then belong to the public. I have been minding my biz…I have only ever praised you and spoken about you positively, even when our perspectives were totally different…I still support your artistry & am extremely happy for your success. I just wished you were honest about the making of my album…That's all I'm going to say on this. You know more than anyone niggas love drama. Also u know very well I have reached out. Bless...Ps: Your phone been going straight to VM for long time.


15. You're just so excited that you have this record deal or this movie opportunity that you don't stand up for yourself and say: "This is what I want to do".

16. (on her new album) I went up to Santa Barbara, found this house on five acres in the mountains and invited a bunch of amazing musicians to come live there with me for a month and just experiment. We woke up around 10 a.m. and made music until midnight, all of course while drinking good wine, picking avocados from the trees outside to make guacamole, and maybe enjoying a joint or two. I left the process a little crazy, but I really feel like I came into my own.

17. I actually love my natural hair when it's in a twist out and it's been slept on for five days and revived by the steam of the shower.


18. I'm constantly looking for new, emerging artists. My friends are all designers, so I'm always in their gear! One of my best friends is having her presentation next week - William Okpo. I got to see the prints they've been working on and they're insane. We actually took a trip to Senegal, and she gathered all these really amazing barbershop photos for inspiration. It's nice to get free stuff from your friends that you actually love!

19. (via Essence) I grew up in a family that works hard. But when you have children, your priorities shift. So anything that's going to make me sweat? I'm not doing it anymore. I'm doing projects that sound like fun, things I'm passionate about. I have to learn how to say no a lot. Life is too short for anything else.




20. I have been writing songs since I was 9 years old, so writing has and always will be my first love and passion.


21. (via Essence) Me and my father have a really relaxed kind of friendship. We're always joking with each other, and everybody is always like: "Why is she so disre-spectful?" But I do respect him and I love him so much; we just kid around a lot.

22. I didn't have the confidence I have now during my teenage years. I had all of these wild ideas that I spent a lot of time trying to convey and convince myself of. But over time you evolve and become really, really comfortable with who you are. Don't apologize for it! Stand firm and stay consistent. It's okay to be versatile and play around, but make sure you really clue into what you're good at. If you there's something you have a strength in, hold tight to it.


23. We are getting an education of a lifetime. We're actually out there in the real world.




24. Any decision I make is based on myself, and the only person I have to give an explanation to is God.

25. We are already paying bills, having responsibilities most people don't have even when they're 24 and haven't graduated from college.


26. It is always an honor to work with those that share your passion for music and just enjoy making great music.





27. I felt like when I took my weave out, I wasn't pretty, I wasn't noticeable.


What do you think of Solange Knowles quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts