Lana Del Rey: "I Wish I Was Dead Already"

In a new interview with The Guardian, Lana Del Rey reveals she wishes she were dead.  




Talking about the premature deaths of music idols such as Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse, Del Rey declared: "I wish I was dead already."


When challenged on the point, Lana was quoted as saying: "I do. I don't want to have to keep doing this. But I am."

"Everything. That's just how I feel. If it wasn't that way, then I wouldn't say it. I would be scared if I knew (death) was coming," Del Rey pointed out.

Del Rey also hates the entire pop star lifestyle.


"Family members will come on the road with me and say: "Wow, your life is just like a movie!"" Lana states, before noting: "I'm like: "Yeah, a really f*cked-up movie.""



Even in the early stages of stardom, with the unexpected success of her track "Video Games," Del Rey "never felt any of the enjoyment. It was all bad, all of it."


Del Rey, who has caused a stir by describing feminism as boring, does not believe that the media's treatment of her has anything to do with her gender.




"I think they think there's an element of sexism going on, but I feel that it's more personal. I don't see where the female part comes into it. I just can't catch that feminist angle," Lana explained.


When asked about the criticism that women such as Lorde, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Lily Allen and Sinead O'Connor receive, Lana suggested "maybe those people are true provocateurs."





"But I'm really not and never have been. I don't think there's any shock value in my stuff - well, maybe the odd disconcerting lyric - but I think other people probably deserve the criticism, because they're eliciting it," Del Rey confessed.



Asked about her clip for "Ride," which includes Del Rey hooking up with a slew of males from biker gangs, she admitted: "I can see how that video would raise a feminist eyebrow."

"But that was more personal to me - it was about my feelings on free love and what the effect of meeting strangers can bring into your life: how it can make you unhinged in the right way and free you from the social obligations I hope we're growing out of in 2014," Del Rey said.




As for what she basically wants from her music, Lana expressed a desire for "something quiet and simple: a writer's community and respect."


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts