Laurence Fishburne Quotes

1. I've taken a lot from them as a filmmaker, and I've learned things from every single filmmaker I've ever worked with, and will hopefully apply them as I make films in the future. As an actor, Coppola trained me. That was my training ground. And because I've worked with first-timers and people in the early stages of their development like Spike, and Singleton, and like the Wachowskis, I try to bring to them the wealth of my experience. It's a great kind of way to exchange.


2. For the last six months people have been coming up to me and saying: "I loved you in "Pulp Fiction", Mr. Jackson".


3. I'm not afraid to open myself up. I've had to all my life. Part of my job is to dig and to dig deeper. And I really enjoy it, because change is constant and is not something you should fight. Accelerated change can be good for you. The more you change, the more you grow. The more you grow, the better for you and those around you.


4. The thing with kids is that you only get one chance to do it right. It's really important to share their gifts while they're discovering them. That's why spelling bees are such a compelling story. They stimulate them intellectually, they awaken their competitive spirit, but it's fun. There's something fun about words.


5. My son is someone who wants to be a writer. My son's been writing for a long time, since he was 14, and he's a published poet. I would like to think that could be a medium that could be used to express some of that dissent that we've spoken of.

6. Hiding a talent is not exclusive to any one particular group of people, young, old, black, white, Latin. It doesn't matter. It's universal. The idea that you have a gift or talent is always kind of threatening. Most of us are afraid of our success, that we will actually be great.

7. (on why he didn't read the complete play of "Othello" before acting in the film version in which more than half of the dialogue was cut) Why should I read all those words that I'm not going to get to say?

8. Special effects are characters. Special effects are essential elements. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.


9. I think of myself as being a relatively intelligent man who is open to a lot of different things and I think that questioning our purpose in life and the meaning of existence is something that we all go through at some point.

10. I certainly believe that being in contact with one's spirit and nurturing one's spirit is as important as nurturing one's body and mind. We are three dimensional beings: body, mind, spirit.

11. I'm not a philosopher. I don't pretend to be a philosopher. I'm not a student of philosophy.


12. It's inaccurate to talk about J.J. being a first-time anything. Just because he's telling stories on the little screen doesn't mean he shouldn't be telling stories on the big screen.

13. For me, it's all about the fact that here's this piece of material where there's one world and it's the real world. And then there's the other world and it exists in your brain and that means that anything is possible, and that to me is just brilliant. There are endless possibilities with that.


14. I play characters. I don't think I really have a persona per se. I don't play the same guy every time. I show up, you don't know what I'm gonna do. I like it that way. I've intentionally tried to do it that way. I think that's what's interesting.

15. I've played a lot of bad guys, 'cause that was the only work I could get. People saw my face and went "oooh".

16. We were hugging each other like we always do.

17. You can't get it until you can really watch it. You can't see it with the naked eye, what the camera can pick up.

18. It's funny, a lot of people think I take myself seriously because I come off so serious sometimes. But it's not that I take myself seriously, I take what I do seriously.


19. Mine were informal mentors. They were all in my working life.

20. I'm happy. It's not broke, don't fix it. It's good where it is. 

  
21. You know, whatever happens between the two of us that's created when we come together as actors is not something I think we can explain.


22. Blacks have been in the position of having to rebel since day one. It's only natural. Black people are the lowest on the totem pole. When kids reach adolescence that's often how they feel. They feel like they are adults, but they're not treated that way. Blacks are this country's perpetual adolescents.

23. You know, whatever happens between the two of us that's created when we come together as actors is not something I think we can explain.

24. I think everyone is very surprised at how "Matrix" has become the pop culture phenomenon that it is.



25. I came up around people who took acting seriously, who cared about acting, cared about the theater and, in the '70s, made movies that said something that mattered. I came up with those people, and I was a kid. Their ethos and credo became mine.


26. My son just entered Boston University, so now I get the opportunity to spend time with her. I have been making trips once a month to New York and I take her to the theater.

27. I've been around long enough now and have learned to be flexible enough to know that every movie isn't going to be "Apocalypse Now" and every director doesn't have to be Stanley Kubrick.


What do you think of Laurence Fishburne's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts