Yvonne De Carlo Quotes

1. (when worried if "The Munsters" was ever going to be a hit) I had moments of terror and fear that my public would not understand the makeup and all that. I really wondered if it was the right thing to do.


2. (asked in 1949 about O'Mahoney's fame) What fame is he talking about? The only fame he has had is what he got by being seen with me!



3. I guess I lead a double life, and I must admit I'm happy with both.


4. (who said in 1963 about doing guest shots) Everybody has just been marvelous. Particularly because no one has suggested they were helping, but that I was right for the parts.

5. I was named Margaret Yvonne. "Margaret" because my mother was very fond of one of the derivatives of the name. She was fascinated at the time by the movie star Baby Peggy, and I suppose she wanted a Baby Peggy of her own.


6. (who said in 1964 about playing the second vampire mother on television) They told me to play her just like Donna Reed. That sounded strange to me until I tried it. Now it works. She acts just like any housewife. The difference is in her approach to things, as when she tells her little child to go to bed: "And don't forget to close your lid."The makeup turned out to her satisfaction. She wears floor-length black hair - gray-streaked with a widow's peak, of course. Her complexion is a faint green, but it shows up as dead white on the screen. She was pleased when some young visitors to the set commented how glamorous she looked.

7. (on how Cecil B. DeMille picked her for the part of Sephora in "The Ten Commandments") I had done a picture at Metro titled "Sombrero" which wasn't too much of a hit. But I had portrayed a saintly type of woman similar to what DeMille had in mind for "Sephora". He saw the picture, was very much impressed, and promptly said: "You're it."


8. I was on cloud nine all the time. After I made my hit in "Salome," Universal sent me to New York so I could learn to be a proper movie star.


9. (when she befell for the character Lily Munster she named because she slept with arms folded coffin-style, and a lily on her chest) I had misgivings when I was told about the role. After all, I didn't want to destroy whatever image I had established. So I asked the makeup man what the makeup was supposed to be.

10. I enjoyed being in "The Ten Commandments." That was a great experience - to suddenly become one of those holy people. I was holier than thou.


11. I wear a tight, fitting gray dress. The kind of thing it would be nice to be buried in. A long train and long, bat - like things banging from the sleeves. And low cut.

12. (on "The Munsters") It meant security. It gave me a new, young audience I wouldn't have had otherwise. It made me "hot" again, which I wasn't for a while.


13. (when asked in 1972 about her affair with Howard Hughes, before he turned into a legendary recluse) Howard taught me how to land a plane and how to take off. But he never taught me anything about flying in between. He thought that I had learned the difficult parts, and that was enough.

14. I'm from Hollywood; I'm too dumb to be nervous about New York.

15. But I was amazed at how much the people over there like those pictures. I talked to many natives, cab drivers, hairdressers, hotel clerks, who said they had seen "Scheherazade" four and five times. And they seemed to have liked "Casbah," too, although I don't know why. Every time I play a concert, someone would yell: "Sing something from Casbah."


16. (on Howard Hughes's romance, after watching "Salome Where She Danced") A man came over… he said: "Mr. Hughes would like to meet you." Well, I was not too much aware of Mr. Hughes at the time - who he was or anything. So, I said: "Oh, yes, fine!". And so, I looked and thought: "Wow, this would be a terrific boyfriend for my aunt."


17. I found I had the ability to do comedy. My timing was really inborn.


18. (upon her entrance in the movie "Salome Where She Danced", where she danced) I came through these beaded curtains, wearing a Japanese kimono and a Japanese headpiece, and then performed a Siamese dance. Nobody seemed to know quite why.


19. Men, no matter what their promises, rarely leave their spouses…the louses.


20. (on writing her own autobiography) If I could, I'd change a lot of things because I'm not proud of everything I've done in my life. But to those people who helped me, and there were a lot, I say, thank you. They're the reason I wrote this book.

21. (when she was playing several concerts in the United States, including the singing and dancing) It would have happened to any film performer playing there. At every performance, there were between 150 and 200 civilian and military policemen to hold back the crowds. The hall would hold 1,500 people, but always the side doors would be pushed open and many more would stand in the aisles.



What do you think of Yvonne De Carlo quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts