Audra McDonald On Suicide: "I Tried To Slit My Wrist"

Audra McDonald has revealed that she attempted suicide in the past.


In a new interview for "Popcorn with Peter Travers," McDonald confessed a really dark chapter in her life.

"When I was (in college) at Julliard, I had a suicide attempt," McDonald was quoted as saying, noting: "I tried to slit my wrist."

The Broadway actress pointed out that her school helped to save her life.


McDonald clarified: "When someone is suicidal, one of the first things you have to do is to protect them from themselves. They had a mental health facilitator there, a therapist there, and they checked me into a mental health hospital where I was for a month and got me the help I needed."

McDonald admitted that anti-depressants and career opportunities helped her to overcome depression.




The onetime "Private Practice" star is now happily married, with a daughter and one of the most remarkable careers in the history of American theater.


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts