Julie Newmar Quotes

1. (on how she got her most famous role Catwoman on "Batman" - 1966) I had lived in New York at the time on Beekman Place. I remember it was a weekend, Friday or Saturday, and my brother had come down from Harvard with five or six of his friends, and we were all sitting around the sofa, just chatting away, when the phone rang. I got up and answered it, and it was this agent or someone in Hollywood, who said: "Miss Newmar, would you like to play Catwoman on the Batman series? They are casting it out here." I was insulted because he said: "It starts Monday." I said: "What is this?" That's how television is done: they never know what they are doing until yesterday. Well, my brother leaped off the sofa. I mean he physically levitated and said: "Batman! That's the favorite show at Harvard. We all quit our classes and quit our studies and run into the TV room and watch this show." I said: "They want me to play Catwoman." He said: "Do it!" So, I said: "Okay, I'll do it."

2. More is not necessarily better. Better is better.


3. It was so wonderful being on "Batman" (1966) because you could be nasty and mean, and in the '50s women could never - unless you were some "B" picture actress - be mean, bad and nasty. It was so satisfying; I can't tell you how satisfying it was.

4. The '60s was the end of the America that the rest of the world liked.

5. You can't fail. The further you fall, the greater the opportunity for growth and change.


6. I'm magnificent! I'm 5' 11" and I weigh 135 pounds, and I look like a racehorse.

7. (on seeing a Catwoman tattoo) I've seen some interesting flesh...It wasn't just the Catwoman. It was me.

8. When you're young and good-looking, you've got to behave. But when you're old, you can get away with murder.

9. (interview in Star Trek Magazine, #1, September/October 2006 on "Star Trek) Oh my goodness, what a following that show has! I get asked about it all the time and I receive lots of fan mail from it, even though I only did one episode.


10. Whenever I'm stopped on the street, men tell: "Ms. Newmar, did you know that you were my first turn-on?…How old were you?"



11. Tell me I'm beautiful, it's nothing. Tell me I'm intellectual - I know it. Tell me I'm funny, and it's the greatest compliment in the world anyone could give me.


12. Today, I walk - but very slowly. My balance is also affected. People might think I've had too much to drink, but I never drank, smoked or took drugs my entire life. If I'm out in public, I grab on to some charming, darling fellow who can steady me. I've been encouraged by the many men who have offered me their shoulders.



13. (on "Catwoman" fans) It's an honor - it really is - that something stays for so long with people in the sweet depths of their feelings.


14. I'm just rich. I own businesses and I love it.

15. I've had a curious relationship with my doctors. On one hand, they haven't made much money off of me over the past few decades. But then they tell me to "keep up the good work", and so I do.


16. Cats are sleek, cats are fast. Cats are…well…they aren't mean their just wiley. And they will grab your attention in the most seductive way.





17. Beauty is what I feel my life is about - the garden, the house, whatever. I see the world that way, yet it isn't.


What do you think of Julie Newmar's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts