Misty Upham Quotes

1. I cleaned houses to support my acting because I've gotten famous off of movies that have paid me not much more than maybe $1400 and stuff. So you get all this notoriety and people pay you to travel the world and everybody thinks you're rich. And then you come home and you have to pay rent and your phone bill and everything else. So I was cleaning, I would get up at 5:30 in the morning and clean houses until lunch and then go to another house which was a boss in Manhattan Beach. She had a mansion. And then from there I would go down to L.A., pick up a bunch of dogs and hike them up Runyon (Canyon) for 30 bucks a dog and then go clean one more house, go home, eat, shower, go to sleep and do it again. So I had been in this sort of work cycle for about maybe nine months and I got the call from my manager while I was scrubbing or waxing a floor actually. And he said: "They want you to audition for "August: Osage County." Which was really interesting, because on one of my weekends off I had, I read the play at a friend's house with Sally Kirkland and Meryl Streep's role and I was Johnna. And that had been like two months earlier. So I was like really familiar with the material. So I asked my boss for a day off and she was really supportive and said yes. So I went, barely had enough gas money to get there and I ran out of gas at Warner Bros. And so I just kind of parked my car, went in, did the audition, thought I messed it up, went outside, called a friend and they brought me gas money. So yeah, I wasn't rich when I was hired for this role and it was really funny that I would be playing a housekeeper. I was excited.

2. I would love to play lovesick loser or a sexy bitch. And I would give my right boob to work with Tilda Swinton, Adrien Brody, Helen Mirren, Seth Rogen, Emily Watson, Woody Allen and James McAvoy. And just for kicks and giggles: Matisyahu. He's Kosher-sexy!


3. I would love to do a film like "Howard's End", which is one of my favorites. I would love to do a film like "Sense & Sensibility", but until society changes, the only roles I'd get to play in movies like that would be either as a maid, or a prisoner, which totally sucks.



4. And at what age did I sell my soul to the devil?

5. I used to race illegally in Seattle in high school.




6. I just do shit so I don't have to stop and think about shit.

7. I don't like interviews. I hate them. I always feel so stupid. I just go blank, even with the simplest questions. I guess it's to do with the fact that I'm a perfectionist. I don't want to say anything that I'll regret in ten years time. And I'm also painfully shy in real life. When I'm in front of the camera, or talking to people as an actress, and not as myself, it's like I become another person. Somehow possessed with somebody who is worth talking to. Because at home people could care less about what I have to say.


What do you think of Misty Upham's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts