Jimi Jamison Quotes

1. (on songwriting) I pretty much wait for inspiration, then sit down at the piano or with the guitar. If I come up with something pretty cool, I put it on tape. If not, I just put the guitar down. I know these Nashville guys have a time each day they write, like a job. But I don't want a job! I like being a bum! My mother still asks me: "When are you gonna get a job?" 





2. (when asked if his parents approved of his choice of career) They were always supportive, although at first they wanted me to attend college. I did give it a try, but singing was what I really wanted to do. It was my parents who booked my first job!



3. You've got to have good songs, but if you've got a lukewarm vocalist, it's just not gonna happen. You gotta have somebody who can put those songs across and relay the feelings that the writers had when they wrote (them).

4. (on the first band he was in) I was about 14 or 15. We were in junior high school, and everybody in the band was on the football team, so we called ourselves the Brutes. Brut cologne was really popular then, so we thought: "What better name than the Brutes?" We'll all use Brut all the time and wear polka-dotted shirts!

5. (when asked what was his most memorable moment onstage) When I ripped my pants from the crotch all the way to the back of the waistline!


6. Actually, everything I did today was above average.

7. (when asked about his biggest disappointment with the Internet) My computer - it's slow!

8. Hey, I know you!



9. I think videos are very important, I really do, if you can put across to people the message, let them see who you really are, do concept videos that mean something to you... People want to see what you are, see real people up there and feel part of it. Everybody needs a hero and you can give them that and still be yourself.


10. There's a lot of bands out there with singers that can carry a tune, but not really singers. They're just, like, musicians trying to sing.

11. (when asked if he always wanted to be a singer) Yeah, I was always singing at home - mostly in the shower, though.



12. (on his favorite leisure-time activities) Sports and sitting at the computer. I love downloading all this stuff but then I can't figure out how to use half the crap I download. It's still fun.


13. For some reason, the older I get the more I want to rock!

14. I'd really rather play tennis than watch any sport.



15. (on performing live) You know, it's the reward we get, I think, for all this stuff we go through. Because when you're traveling on the road, you go through so much weirdness - you usually only see the venue, the airport, and the hotel. And you can be depressed, you can be sad, you can be sick…but when you first put that one foot on stage and all those people are out there screaming, it's another world. You go into a totally different world, a different frame of mind, and nothing else exists except you, the songs and the people out in front of you. I think it's such a great feeling to be able to perform live; I'm really grateful that we can do it.


16. (when asked if he's ever kept a diary) Yeah, I did once, but I stopped, 'cause it got stolen. So I'm never writing down what I'm thinking again! I now burn all my old lyrics - won't let anybody see 'em! I've thought about writing a book, but stopped real quick. Too dangerous! Someone else can write it - if they want to ask questions, I'll answer them. But I'm not writing it!






17. (on the song "Man Against The World") To my surprise, the first time I sang it in the studio was the last time I sang it in the studio! I guess I got lucky because we kept the first take and built the drums and all the other instruments around my vocals.


18. (on what he does to unwind) I like to work in the yard, and I've got this lady friend who comes over with all kinds of exotic plants and has got me into growing flowers. I don't know what's going on, man! Must be getting old or somethin'. So I'm outside most of the time, breaking Arkansas rocks and building a waterfall and stuff.



19. Our plans for the future are to rock till we drop, you know? I'll probably never give up; I'll probably be in a wheelchair on stage somewhere, singing, on the final day of my life...


20. (on how he got into the music business) I never planned it as a career. I was in a band in school and just never stopped! Persistence, I guess.


21. I think music, just about for everybody, means basically the same thing: It either reminds you of something you've been through or something you're going through, or brings back a good moment in your life...It's an emotion, a feeling that you get when you listen to a song.


What do you think of Jimi Jamison's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts