Andy Bell Quotes

1. The biggest deal we signed was for £3 million in 1990, with Elektra in America. That was a lot of money, but we only ended up doing one album for them. After that our bargaining power waned.  


2. (on money) It does make you feel safe but, fundamentally, it's not the answer because things can change so rapidly.



3. Being HIV-positive does not mean that you have AIDS. My life expectancy should be the same as anyone else's, so there's no need to panic.


4. The first Erasure album was a flop and I thought Vince might sack me, but he didn't, thankfully. Things took off in 1987 with the single "Sometimes". We had a flurry of singles up until 1992 that did really well. So we went from nothing to money rolling in. 





5. I've been very fortunate. You just have to keep your eye on things. I find it shocking when I hear about other artists who haven't made much money. Paul, who was my partner for 25 years (Paul Hickey was also his manager), was amazing. He looked out for every tiny loophole. 



6. Anyone that has ever had the privilege of meeting or seeing one of Diamanda Galás' shows will know how lucky we are to have her contribute to the album (Rock Me Gently). Her voice shoots off into outer space & weaves in & out of the synth tight-rope like supersonic warrior. 

7. I love having splurges every now and then. I like flying business class, especially when I'm going to America, and I like jewellery. 


8. Our songs are nonsense. And life is nonsense.


9. I'm from a working-class family, the first of six children, and my mum had me when she was 17 and my dad was 19. I remember people coming around to cut the gas off and seeing the worry etched on my mum's face. I made up my mind not to let that happen to me. But I wasn't a go-getter. I wanted to join a band and sing, but I didn't really think about the monetary reward. 

10. It was a great show. But, at the same time, there was a lot of stuff going on in my life and I wasn't particularly the nicest person to be around. I was all over the place. We had been working non-stop since we started, and there was not really much more we could achieve after that.

11. I think show business goes to your head more because you are slightly bigheaded in front of your family. We used to have people over for parties and half of them would be strangers, which no sane person would do. I'm so glad I've got Vince because I might have lost my way a bit. I find it hard to say no. He's so down to earth, and such a diplomat.


What do you think of Andy Bell's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts