Gina Gershon Quotes

1. Being the control freak that I am, I want to know everything beforehand. At this point I'm just going along for the ride.  








2. I kinda wish I could be a lesbian. So many girls come up to me all the time, I keep thinking: "God, I should be a lesbian." But unfortunately, I'm straight.



3. I love giving gifts and I love receiving them. I really like giving little kids extravagant gifts. You see their little faces light up and they get excited. If it's a really good gift, I love receiving it, like jewels, small islands.


4. (on "Showgirls") I decided to make my part campy because I initially thought that it was going to be really dark and really intense and then it just turned out to be completely different. So instead of going in that direction, I decided to make it so that drag queens would want to dress as my character on Halloween.


5. I would love to do a big studio movie, just because they're going to put the money into distributing it. A lot of times you do these little movies, you love them and they never get seen by anyone.


6. A lot of my friends are struggling musicians. Being a struggling actor, it's just frustrating because you're not allowed to do what you want to do.




7. I'm involved in Project ALS which is trying to get money for stem cell research. That's one I've been pretty involved with because if you can cure that, you can cure so many other diseases.


8. I think people stop themselves from doing the things they want to do. I just think you never know how long you're going to be around so you might as well do the things that are intriguing. Nobody really cares anyway so you have to do what makes you happy.


9. I've seen it too many times in Hollywood. Talking about a relationship in public can jinx it. And if you have your picture taken together, you might as well start packing your bags.


10. All I wanted to do was play "Conrad Birdie"; I really wanted to be like the Elvis Presley guy, and they ended up giving me the lead, "Rosie".


11. I always find people who are unique very attractive.


12. When "Bound" was released, "Boys don't Cry" wasn't out yet. Therefore it was very taboo to play a lesbian. I loved the part, because girls never get to play the typical guy parts.





13. You don't quite know how drunk you are until all of a sudden you're on the floor.



14. Actresses are nightmares. I don't hang out with any of them. That's a problem with my profession. I try not to be like an actress.


15. I did the cover of Cigar Aficionado, so I'm supposed to talk about loving cigars. I've smoked them a couple of times. My father used to smoke cigars. I love the idea and the concept, and I love the smell of cigars.




16. All my roles are different parts of my personality. Hannah is the caretaker part of me, the psychologist in Prague Duet (1998)...is the part of me that's always analyzing, Guinevere's Billie is the artistic side.


17. I don't have any blonde friends.



18. I think smart is sexy. I like smart people. People that are comfortable with themselves I think is very sexy. My cat is really sexy.



19. I learned a lot about critics, not to really take them too seriously about movies.


20. My favorite part of a roller-coaster ride is when you're going up and you're slightly scared and really excited. You don't know what's coming next but you know it's going to be good. You can't handle it, go on the carousel.




21. I usually just have one cat. It is difficult, but I have my one cat that he'll travel with me if it's appropriate, if I'm not going overseas.


22. My best attribute is knowing when not to answer stupid questions.





23. I was obsessed with Elvis Presley when I was little.


24. I'm just nervous and anxious all the time - I drink too much coffee. But you know, everything can be solved with a bottle; the bottle is a universal cure-all - and not just a booze bottle, any bottle. You break up with your boyfriend, you get a bottle of peroxide. You get sad, you have a drink. Need to sleep? Get a bottle of pills. Baby needs to be calmed down? Give it a bottle. There are genies in bottles.





25. I love cats. I have a lot of cat tales, ha ha, so to speak. A lot of my cats come to me. They show up at my house. I'm kind of a cat lady that way.


26. In any profession, there's a sleazy side and an honorable side.


27. I feel like I still am struggling in a lot of different ways. I still have to fight for certain things. Certain jobs. At least I'm working and I'm thankful for that.

28. Lately, I've been a little sad that I'm not a gay man.

29. Size counts. That's all.


30. I learned the hard way not to open my heart to a stranger, knowing that it only leads to heartbreak, tears, and weight gain.



31. People seem to get weirdly obsessed with my mouth.


32. "Showgirls" (1995) was a great lesson in power. People would come up to me - like smarmy guys usually saying: "So, you're doing "Showgirls," and they'd kind of look me over. And I would look them dead in the eye and go: "Yeah. I run around naked in it and I kiss beautiful girls - it's great." And they would visibly shrink away because I didn't back down. They were trying to have control over me, but as long as you're proud of what you're doing, and say so, people can't f...ck with you, they'll respect you for your choices. If you act embarrassed, then you know you shouldn't be doing whatever it is.

33. Feeding is a very important ritual for me. I don't trust people who don't like to eat.




34. Struggling at anything that you want to be doing is hard.



35. The critics tend to forget their own answers after a while.



36. I think the original "Matrix" was really incredible. It was so original and it did so many innovative things with film. It was a much bigger film. "Bound" was just a smaller film. It was kind of like an old noir film.


37. (on studying - and in particular, doing dream work - with Sandra Seacat, from 1998 interview in Cigar Aficionado) Sandra totally changed my acting. Instinctively, I was always in love with psychology and my dream life had always been very important to me. Ever since I was 15 years old I had been writing down my dreams. What's really exciting to me about Sandra's work is that it changes your life, almost on a psychic level. Now I'll get parts and in working on them, she'll say: "Well, let's see how you're developing, as a human being." Because the parts you're doing, it's no accident. Those parts affect your life and they kind of illustrate the map that your life is following. When I'm working on a certain project, before I go to bed I actually ask questions. So you dictate what kind of dream you're going to have. You say: "I need to find out this." There's a whole ritual about how to go about it. And then Sandra will work on it with you. Then, in classes with her, you'll actually cast them and act them out, which is unbelievable. You almost change the molecules in your body by doing that. It's really powerful. The first couple of times I did that, I actually got physically sick the rest of the week. It was super-powerful… I've worked with Sandra for many years now and she's been a huge influence on my life. She was in the (Actors) Studio with Brando and those guys, and everyone said that as an actress she was incredible. But I think her true calling in life was to become a teacher.


What do you think of Gina Gershon's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts