Slash Quotes

1. Heroin is a great f...king drug, but it's evil.


2. When we weren't being transcendent we specialized in self-inflicted disaster.

3. If I could hang out with Jimi Hendrix, it wouldn't be over dinner.

4. Guitars are like women. You'll never get them totally right.



5. There are people who have an image of me as being rude and inconsiderate. But I'm completely the opposite, because I was raised not to be. I might have been tripping over myself drunk, but I was always courteous.



6. Musicians never actually talk about music.


7. The only time I think I've ever gotten sick of playing Guns and Roses songs really was during - after having played them in Guns and Roses, and then in Snakepit, and then playing "It's So Easy" and "Brownstone" in Velvet Revolver.


8. We had a really vast music collection and I was raised around rock'n'roll, it's just the way it was.


9. I'm intimidated by singing. I can carry a tune and I can cover a melody, but I just hate expressing myself verbally - especially in the form of a song - to the point that I don't even like to hum to myself.


10. I think that was the whole idea behind doing the solo record was to be able to do musically whatever I wanted to do.



11. I had my chemically induced overdoses and alcohol poisoning and all that. I would just keep pushing it and pushing it. I had absolutely no fear of not waking up. But ultimately the clarity seeps through. If I'm going to be here, then I'm going to have to be able to do what it is I'm here to do.

12. You know, when you really connect with the instrument and everything just comes out on an emotional level very naturally through your playing. That's, you know, a great night. And I think the reason I love touring so much is you're chasing that high around all the time, trying to have another good night.

13. I think when I was a kid, and I was in England and it was all about The Stones, The Who, The Kinks and The Beatles and that's what my dad was into.










14. I never want to draw attention to myself, but that's all I do.


15. My grandmother was really the last person to call me Saul. The people who call me Saul are fans who want to have that personal connection. I'm not sure what the psychology behind that is. But I'm assuming they want to get beyond Slash.



16. It's not something you can find. There's a moment you arrive at - there's no words for it. A bunch of people come together at this place where a note hits your heart and your brain tells your finger where to go. It's an otherworldly thing, like when a painter gets the right combination of colors together.


17. My dad is a huge rock and roll lead guitar fan. I didn't even really know that until recently. Everything has to have a guitar solo in it.







18. Between the Beatles and the Stones, my dad liked the Stones, so there was definitely an innate gene that I got from him.

19. Risk isn't a word in my vocabulary. It's my very existence.

20. It's not like I'm Brad Pitt, but I get recognized pretty regularly. The other night I went to see a friend of mine play. When I arrived, there was just too much attention. The hardest thing about being a rock star is not being a rock star.



21. I'm not ridiculously wealthy, but I don't squander money either.


22. And, so, when I picked up the guitar, suddenly, just playing a couple of notes really, really spoke to me. It was almost like I should have been doing it prior to that. You know, it was something that just felt really natural.




23. And, as soon as I could put together the, you know, three or four notes that made up, like, sort of a rock and roll lick, you know, like a Chuck Berry kind of thing, I was off and running. Just completely taken over.


24. The split between Axl and I was a quiet one. But because there was so much attention on the breakup - and are we going to get back together? - it got built up into this monster that led to a kind of animosity that wasn't the focus for me. Neither one of us wants to be down each other's throats for no reason. At this point, I'm trying to put it to rest. So I try to avoid the subject.

25. When I was a kid, I got jobs so I could get cigarettes, beer, and something at the A&P. That's how I see money. It's never been a motivating factor.


26. Guitar is the best form of self-expression I know. Everything else, and I'm just sort of tripping around, trying to figure my way through life.


27. When it comes down to it, I like being with one person that I'm comfortable with and who it means something with. But I have no complaints about some of the experiences I've had.

28. I still party all the time and hang out with everyone who drinks, but I just don't personally, and don't really have the desire to get blitzed drunk any more.


29. As for Guns N' Roses, I don't think there's ever a chance of a reunion.








30. I don't know if that giraffe was trying to kiss me. But it was an experience. Have you ever seen a giraffe's tongue? It's about two feet long.


31. So when I got to be about 13 or 14, I started listening - even though my parents music was way cool - to contemporary hard rock at that time, which was Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Ted Nugent and all that, and that's just where I came from.





32. I don't believe in having regrets.


33. Being told no was the big thing ever since I can remember. And that was always getting in the way of creativity.

34. It's par for the course for me to find the one girl that is the most exciting, outspoken, and flamboyant - the most crazy. You just have to meet my wife.



35. You can't wait around for destiny to give you what you think you deserve, you have to earn it, even if you think you've paid your dues.


36. I used to think Les Paul was a guitar. I didn't know he was a real guy. When I got to know him, I found out that if you're really obsessed, he was the guy you'd want to be like. He was always trying to find an answer for what he was looking for in his mind. If things didn't exist, he built them himself. He single-handedly created what I consider "popular music."




37. Experiencing yourself out of context, divorced from your usual point of view, skews your perspective - it's like hearing your voice on an answering machine. It's almost like meeting a stranger; or discovering a talent you never knew you had.


38. I do consider myself British. I have very strong feelings about my British heritage.








39. A lot of vices that I've had over the years were always to make up for some sort of character deficiency, one of them being shyness.

40. It's a constant quest to find that harmony, to connect with it, where everything that you want to come out of it comes out. Those moments are rare, but they're like drugs: Once you get going on it, you're constantly jonesing for it.


41. Restlessness is a fickle catalyst; it can drive you to achieve or it can coax your demise, and sometimes the choice isn't yours.

42. If it had been any different, if I had been born just one minute later, or been in the wrong pace at the right time or vice versa, the life that I've lived and come to love would not exist. And that is a situation that I would not want to consider in the slightest.

43. My mom did costumes for the Pointer Sisters.


44. When I see footage of Guns N' Roses, I see that fucking hunger and attitude. You could not fuck with those five guys. It was just raw. It was this lean, hungry thing on its way up. It was as sincere as any rock 'n' roll that I've ever heard, and I'm proud of that.

45. I had no aspirations to be a musician, but I picked up a guitar for two seconds and haven't put it down since.


46. Axl (Rose) and I came from completely different backgrounds. Because of that we made an interesting pair trying to figure each other out.




47. No interest. I don't tell my kids about those days. One is seven. The other is nine. One is really into his skateboard. I look at him and see myself, and I'm like, "Just do it, man!"


48. I'm not overly greedy.




49. That's a wonderful side effect of leather pants: when you pee yourself in them, they're more forgiving than jeans.

50. Being a rockstar is the intersection of who you are and who you want to be.



51. I always loved rock guitar. I just never put it together that that's what I'd end up doing.


52. I've always had to do things my way; I play guitar my way; I've taken myself to the edges of life my way; I've gotten clean my way; And I'm still here. Whether or not I deserve to be is another story.




53. I don't think there's anything better than hearing your favorite band live.


54. I think that anyone who is a true junkie has an innate kinship with other junkies. Somehow I knew that we shared mutual interests; that addiction speaks to you. Without knowing it, you're attracted to them.

55. I allow myself one nice car.


56. My big awakening happened when I was fourteen. I'd been trying to get into this older girl's pants for a while, and she finally let me come over to her house. We hung out, smoked some pot and listened to Aerosmith's Rocks. It hit me like a f...king ton of bricks. I sat there listening to it over and over, and totally blew off this girl. I remember riding my bike back to my grandma's house knowing that my life had changed. Now I identified with something.


What do you think of Slash quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts