Melissa Gilbert Removes Her Breast Implants

American actress Melissa Gilbert has admitted removing her breast implants.  








In January 2015 the "Little House on the Prairie" star decided to have her breast implants surgically removed for health reasons.


Gilbert revealed that she has struggled with body image issues for a long time. Now, at the age of 50, she is beginning to accept her figure for what it is and has removed her breast implants as a first step.



According to a hilarious and personal post on her official website entitled "A Tale of Two Titties", Gilbert called her 2012 turn on "Dancing with the Stars" as well as her history of body image issues.



"I had spent most of my life pressured to look a certain way and I believed the hype," Melissa wrote, noting: "The height of this obsession with my outward appearance culminated with my appearance on the dancing show. It was all about spray tan and glitter and glamor and what other people think and being skinny, way too skinny!! Yuck!!"


"I stayed in that head space for several months after that. Then I had a rude awakening. A 300 pound patio cover collapsed on my head. It was like the universe smacking me in the head and screaming: "WAKE UP MELISSA!!!!" Wake up I did. It was like a light switch going on. The shallowness of my existence at that point brought me to my knees. I had to change. I had to look inward and address my issues (this looking inward is a constant process by the way). It was time for me to change. I had to focus on what was real and true. I'd lost myself somehow, Melissa explained.


Gilbert stated that in her "Little House on the Prairie" days and roles after that, she was fitted in a padded bra and corset with drawn-on cleavage, which made her feel unconfident about her size A cup.



The actress further noted how her decision to succumb to a breast augmentation came about after the birth of her son and then her replacement implants in 2004.



"I was left feeling a bit uncomfortable about my breasts but it was so worth it to have my beautiful, healthy son," Gilbert said, adding: "And then my husband at the time, referred to my boobs as…and I quote… "Socks full of marbles with knots at the top.""


"A few years later we got divorced," Gilbert went on, pointing out: "Not only because of the sock comment. Although the sock comment was symptomatic of all that was wrong between us. And there I was, single and feeling enormously insecure about my breasts. Then and there, without doing any research, I made the decision, to get my breasts augmented. Not too big, just enough to fill up the "socks.""


"I couldn't shake the idea that my implants had a shelf life," she honestly said, adding: "They would have to have them replaced every 10-15 years for the rest of my life. It was possible that at 80 years old I might have to get new implants! Huh?? I also began thinking a lot about the silicone in my body and what might go wrong."






"The bottom line…or top line…is that; A. I am concerned for my health and 2. I don't like the way they look or feel. Frankly, I'd like to be able to take a Zumba class without the fear that I'll end up with two black eyes," Melissa jokingly said.



After getting her breast implants removed a short while ago, Girlbert wrote on her twitter account that her recovery was going fine.


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts