1. I've had it all. I've done it all. I've seen it all.
2. I am greatly honored to be here. I was anticipating this and hoping they would contact me. I am glad they did.
4. I'm still James Johnson. Rick James is a stage name. James Johnson keeps Rick James on the ground…Kind of sort of.
5. I'm Rick James, bitch!
6. I believe everything happens under God's plan anyway.
7. We're bustin' out on some serious funk, y'all!
8. You don't really know your own worth because you don't know what may happen tomorrow.
9. I betcha I'll make you holler.
10. I went to India, lived, and studied.
11. My teacher said I would either be a hoodlum, or a great entertainer.
12. The Grand Princess is going to have the first wedding chapel at sea where the captain can actually marry you and you can have your reception on board. The choices on board these ships are second-to-none, and I would challenge any resort vacation to deliver the type of vacations that these new grand-class ships are going to deliver.
13. "Off stage it's cool-out time. You can't funk and roll ALL the time.
14. I'm very bitter about how I've been treated, there are some things I want to bring into the light, I'm glad I came here. This is the longest time I've been straight and sober. But if I wanted to get high tomorrow - my drug of choice - I could do it in this penitentiary. It comes with the territory. But I fight the feeling.
15. I'm one of the baddest mother…kers of all time.
16. If anything I consider myself non-violent, I'm from the hippy era, peace, love, groovy.
17. When I hit the stage, I become Rick James and that character exemplifies everything that it stands for: freedom, sex, love, power, truth. That's where I'm at. That's what I believe in. That's what I put out and that's what people feel.
18. He will stand in front of the district court and plea guilty or not guilty. We do not have any plea agreement in place, so we will set a court date at that time.
19. I wanted to play the Apollo because I didn't think I was going to be on the earth long.
20. There is a long history of people gathering in the same spot at the same time every week, or after work. A new guy could come in and see what the latest news was and what's going on in sports. Before people had TV and telephones it was one of the only meeting places we had; one of the only places to go and get local news.
21. I just live one day at a time.
22. If you're too straight for it, then don't watch it! Turn the TV off!
23. Now is my time. Everything I've done up to this point is just a warm up. This is where it all begins.
24. Somebody told me it's the oldest legitimate black-owned business enterprise. It's pretty much the cornerstone of the black community.
25. It's called illusions of grandeur. Every musician wants to be big.
26. I don't have aluminum foil on my windows anymore.
27. Funkers are people who dig the funk; Little funkers, Big funkers, Old funkers, Young funkers, Foxy funkers, Mother funkers, Papa funkers.
28. I have some white customers but not as many as I'd like. I think some people feel intimidated walking into a barbershop like this, but I'm trying to change that. When people come in here and they ask "do you cut white folks' hair?" I always say I cut hair period. Of all colors, white, green blue, whatever you got.
29. I'm trying to change the root of funk, trying to make it more progressive, more melodic and more lyrically structured.
30. I'm too old to do crazy things anymore.
31. We're gonna dance on the funk and make love on this song.
32. I was going to get drafted, but I didn't really want to go into the Army.
33. Get up on this funk!
34. I love rap.
35. I was young and crazy in the ghetto.
36. You can't have rock and roll without drugs, you can't have rock and roll without sex.
37. I'm a long way from Ike Turner.
38. I wanted my show to look like the fourth of July.
39. I love kids.
40. It's a celebration, bitches!
41. I wrote and produced millions and millions of selling records, so my publishing company alone was worth millions of dollars. I didn't have to work anymore in life because when the rappers started sampling... I'm the most sampled artist in history.
42. I'm finally locked into the now, and it's great.
43. I'm really not tailored for responsibility.
44. You gotta hold that gate shut.
45. I was angry about the fact that my father would beat my mother on a daily basis, that my mother would take it in turn and beat on me. I was an abused child. I was mad about all those things, very bitter and very angry.
46. I mean, Rick James was just a man-made image, the image I created. Just trying to live Rick James almost killed me.
47. We didn't know if it was because we're a mixed-race couple or if it is because she was a TV personality or I was the guy from radio.
48. After I saw Kiss on stage, I wanted my show to look like the fourth of July. The persona of Rick James was wild and crazy, sex, drugs and rock and roll.
49. I had always been a free spirit and always gotten what I wanted.
50. I think rap definitely has its place in the art world. I think it is an art form. But, just like any art form, you can misuse it.
What do you think of Rick James quotes?
Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!