Joni Mitchell Suffers From Disease Most Doctors Think Is Psychosis Or Delusion

When Joni Mitchell was rushed to the hospital this week after being discovered unresponsive in her Los Angeles home, a controversial disorder she has long suffered from made the headlines again.


Mitchell, now 71, has regularly complained of her battle with Morgellons, a medical mystery that has confused the scientific community for years.


"I couldn't wear clothing. I couldn't leave my house for several years," the singer-songwriter described in her 2014 book "Joni Mitchell: In Her Own Words". 



"Sometimes it got so I'd have to crawl across the floor. My legs would cramp up, just like a polio spasm. It hit all of the places where I had polio," Joni explained.



Patients of the illness report biting, itching and crawling sensations. 


"Fibers in a variety of colors protrude out of my skin," Mitchell was quoted as saying, noting: "They cannot be forensically identified as animal, vegetable or mineral."




Sufferers reveal that their skin feels like it's erupting from underneath, infested by insects, worms or bizarre fibers. Like the legendary performer, they state their symptoms are exhausting. 


Mitchell shared in her book: "Morgellons is constantly morphing. There are times when it's directly attacking the nervous system, as if you're being bitten by fleas and lice. It's all in the tissue and it's not a hallucination. It was eating me alive, sucking the juices out. I've been sick all my life."

"Morgellons" was previously described in the 1600s and then named in 2001 by an American, Mary Leitao, whose son's itching couldn't be remedied or clarified by modern medicine.





Researchers mostly believe that Morgellons is "a psychosis or mass-shared delusion."


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts