Rupert Everett On Gay Parenting

Gay actor Rupert Everett is causing controversy with recent comments he made about gay parenting.



 


To be more specific, Everett told the Sunday Times Magazine that he "can't think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads... Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That's just my opinion."

Everett, who is currently playing Oscar Wilde in "The Judas Kiss" in London, opened up about his unexpected viewpoint while discussing his current boyfriend meeting his mother, Sara. She told the magazine: "In the past, I have said that I wish Rupert was straight and, I probably still feel that... I’d like him to have a pretty wife. I’d like him to have children. He’s so good with children. He’d make a wonderful father... But I also think a child needs a mummy and a daddy. I’ve told him that and he takes it very well. He doesn’t get angry with me. He just smiles."

Everett added: "I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any "community." The only community I belong to is humanity and we’ve got too many children on the planet, so it’s good not to have more."



The Telegraph notes that Ben Summerskill, Chief Executive of LGBT Rights Advocacy group Stonewall, responded to Everett stating: "Rupert should get out a little bit more to see the facts for himself. There is absolutely no evidence that the kids of gay parents suffer in the way they are being brought up or in how they develop."

It has to be noted that this isn't the first time Everett, who has previously called gay parenting "egocentric and vain," has raised eyebrows. In 2009, just days after Michael Jackson passed away, the actor called the musician "a freak" who "looked like a character from Shrek" and was a "black to white minstrel."


And in 2008, while promoting a film in which he portayed a 19th century soldier, Everett claimed contemporary British soliders "are always whining about the dangers of being killed. Oh my God, they are such wimps now."


What do you think of Everett's shocking statement about gay parenting as well as his controversial comments about many other things?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts