Tony Scott Quotes

1. All my movies, like Revenge, are under two hours.



2. A lot of actors talk about doing their homework, but very few of them do it.

3. Dad was a very gentle, sweet man.

4. I have a short attention span.

5. I make a movie because it's something that inspires me.

6. GM is a highly collaborative organization; we rely on a whole tier of suppliers for everything that we do.

7. I think we're lucky because there are very few people in life who get to do what we're doing.

8. I thought that subtitles are boring because they're there generally to serve us with information to make you understand what people are saying in a different language.


9. Out of the total of 11 movies, I got slammed.

10. Mum was the matriarch and the patriarch of the family.




11. The world is sick of big IT things that don't work.

12. There's one great script that hit my desk that I didn't change at all, and that was True Romance.

13. Ridley and I talk every day. Our family is very close because we're from North England.







14. We come from a tough, working class background, so we're very tight.

15. We think of enterprise architecture as the process we use for fully describing and mapping business functionality and business requirements and relating them to information systems requirements.

16. We don't ever want IT to be the thing that holds GM back.





17. It was just a different way of doing things, and I'm often criticized for attempting difference, which is misinterpreted as style over content.

18. Domino never failed to surprise or inspire me over the last 12 years…She was a free spirit like no other I have ever known.




19. It's pretty special coming back here - there is a strong family tradition - and to be honest, I'm a little overwhelmed at the attention.

20. So I sort of thought: "OK, well, seeing as we're not completely telling her story, it gives me a sort of freedom to actually do what I want."



21. The biggest edge I live on is directing. That's the most scary, dangerous thing you can do in your life.

22. The scariest thing in my life is the first morning of production on all my movies. It's the fear of failing, the loss of face and a sense of guilt that everybody puts their faith in you and not coming through.

23. I stopped looking at reviews after my first movie The Hunger, because I got slagged off so badly. They can be brutal. (BBC 2005)



24. You know with my movies I reach for difference and I reach for change and I think - especially the American press - they're not up for change. They're too comfortable with what they know.

25. I like changing the pace of my life, changing my discipline. It gives me ideas for how to see the world differently.




26. (on his brother, Ridley Scott) We are so very close in terms of family and business so we couldn't be on the same set.

27. I saw so much of our growing up in it, in terms of what he brought to the tone of the movie - which is rain!



28. (on Tom Cruise) A magnet for women.
29. I was always criticized for style and content, but I enjoy trying to tell stories a different way, particularly with this movie, Man On Fire.

30. (About Ridley Scott) Nobody does toga movies like my brother.

31. (on "Days of Thunder") The problem was, we started on the movie without a script. Tom (Cruise) was already part of the line-up when I arrived and they said: "Tom can sit behind the wheel of a race car and smoke a cigarette and this movie will make a fortune." And that was the attitude we went in with. Robert Towne would be writing the scenes at night, we would shoot in the morning. It was a dangerous way to work. But we really thought: "Look - it's racing cars and it's Tom Cruise!" But you always have to get a story and you've got to get character first, and we hadn't.

32. (The studio) saw a cut of "The Hunger" and all of a sudden my parking spot at Warner Brothers was painted out.


33. I always get criticized for style over content, unlike Ridley's films that go into the classic box right away. Mine sort of hover. Maybe with time people will start saying they should be classics, but I think I'm always perceived as reaching too hard for difference, and difference doesn't categorize you as the "classic category".

34. Ridley makes films for posterity. My films are more rock 'n' roll.






35. (on "Top Gun" and similar film) I see these pilots as rock 'n' roll stars of the skies. I see deep blue skies and silver steel. I hear the rock music and smell the jet fuel. I love shooting real things in the real world.

What do you think of Tony Scott's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts