Queen Elizabeth II Quotes

1. It's all to do with the training: you can do a lot if you're properly trained.








2. I myself prefer my New Zealand eggs for breakfast.

3. I cannot lead you into battle. I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else - I can give my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations.

4. The upward course of a nation's history is due in the long run to the soundness of heart of its average men and women.





5. To what greater inspiration and counsel can we turn than to the imperishable truth to be found in this treasure house, the Bible?

6. Grief is the price we pay for love.


7. Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.

8. I have to be seen to be believed.

9. I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong. (on her 21st birthday - Royal website)



10. It is easy enough to define what the Commonwealth is not. Indeed this is quite a popular pastime.

11. I know of no single formula for success. But over the years I have observed that some attributes of leadership are universal and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm and their inspiration to work together.

12. My husband has quite simply been my strength and stay all these years, and I owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim.




13. The British constitution has always been puzzling and always will be.

14. The events that I have attended to mark my Diamond Jubilee have been a humbling experience. It has touched me deeply to see so many thousands of families, neighbors and friends celebrating together in such a happy atmosphere.



15. They are not royal. They just happen to have me as their aunt.

16. These wretched babies don't come until they are ready.

17. We lost the American colonies because we lacked the statesmanship to know the right time and the manner of yielding what is impossible to keep.

18. To all those who have suffered as a consequence of our troubled past I extend my sincere thoughts and deep sympathy. With the benefit of historical hindsight we can all see things which we would wish had been done differently or not at all.

19. First, I want to pay tribute to Diana myself. She was an exceptional and gifted human being. In good times and bad, she never lost her capacity to smile and laugh, nor to inspire others with her warmth and kindness. I admired and respected her - for her energy and commitment to others, and especially for her devotion to her two boys.

20. I have in sincerity pledged myself to your service, as so many of you are pledged to mine. Throughout all my life and with all my heart I shall strive to be worthy of your trust.


21. I have behind me not only the splendid traditions and the annals of more than a thousand years but the living strength and majesty of the Commonwealth and Empire; of societies old and new; of lands and races different in history and origins but all, by God's Will, united in spirit and in aim.

22. Therefore I am sure that this, my Coronation, is not the symbol of a power and a splendor that are gone but a declaration of our hopes for the future, and for the years I may, by God's Grace and Mercy, be given to reign and serve you as your Queen.





23. I have been aware all the time that my peoples, spread far and wide throughout every continent and ocean in the world, were united to support me in the task to which I have now been dedicated with such solemnity.

24. In remembering the appalling suffering of war on both sides, we recognise how precious is the peace we have built in Europe since 1945.





25. I hope that tomorrow we can all, wherever we are, join in expressing our grief at Diana's loss, and gratitude for her all-too-short life. It is a chance to show to the whole world the British nation united in grief and respect.

26. Madam President, speaking here in Dublin Castle it is impossible to ignore the weight of history, as it was yesterday when you and I laid wreaths at the Garden of Remembrance.


27. No one who knew Diana will ever forget her. Millions of others who never met her, but felt they knew her, will remember her.

28. The lessons from the peace process are clear; whatever life throws at us, our individual responses will be all the stronger for working together and sharing the load.






29. What were once only hopes for the future have now come to pass; it is almost exactly 13 years since the overwhelming majority of people in Ireland and Northern Ireland voted in favour of the agreement signed on Good Friday 1998, paving the way for Northern Ireland to become the exciting and inspirational place that it is today.

30. 1992 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure. In the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it has turned out to be an "Annus Horribilis". (after a fire at Windsor Castle and several personal scandals in the royal family. Annus horribilis is Latin for "horrible year"; the letter to which the Queen was referring was sent by Sir Edward Ford -  Speech at the Guildhall, London, to mark the 40th anniversary of her Accession, 24 November 1992)

31. We are a moderate, pragmatic people, more comfortable with practice than theory. (speech in reply to Addresses from both Houses of Parliament in Westminster Hall in the year of Her Golden Jubilee, 30 April 2002)






32. Oh, dear, I hope it wasn't anyone important. (said to Clare Short after Short's phone rang in her handbag during a Privy Council meeting; quoted in Donald Macintyre, "The Queen is on a roll because she understands her role (unlike her son)," The Independent, 2 May 2002)

33. Discrimination still exists. Some people feel that their own beliefs are being threatened. Some are unhappy about unfamiliar cultures. They all need to be reassured that there is so much to be gained by reaching out to others; that diversity is indeed a strength and not a threat. (2004 Christmas message)

34. Football's a difficult business and aren't they prima donnas? (The Queen gives her opinion to Premier League chairman Sir David Richards, as quoted in BBC News, 2 January 2007)

35. In tomorrow's world we must all work together as hard as ever, if we're truly to be United Nations. (The Queen urging nations to work together at her second address of the United Nations)


36. Work is the rent you pay for the room you occupy on earth.

37. We are not amused.

38. Those who perpetrate these brutal acts against innocent people should know that they will not change our way of life. (on terrorist bombing attack on London on July 7, 2005)


39. And what do you do? (to four British guitar greats, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Brian May, at reception for British music industry at Buckingham Palace March 2005)

40. Have you been playing a long time? (to rock legend Eric Clapton about his guitar playing, at Buckingham Palace reception for British music industry March 2005)

41. Are you a guitarist, too? (to Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page who co-wrote Stairway to Heaven, at Buckingham Palace reception for British music industry March 2005)

42. They have overcome Beecher's Brook and The Chair and all kinds of other obstacles. They have come through and I'm very proud and wish them well. (on Charles and Camilla)

43. The Duke of Edinburgh and I are very happy that the Prince of Wales and Mrs Parker Bowles are to marry.

44. For me, heaven is likely to be a bit of a come-down.

What do you think of Queen Elizabeth II's quotes?


Feel free to comment to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts