Kurt Cobain Quotes

1. I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.


2. Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.

3. I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they're in my head.

4. The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.




5. Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms: "nirvana" means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock.

6. If you die you're completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. I'm not afraid of dying. Total peace after death, becoming someone else is the best hope I've got.

7. If it's illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail!




8. A friend is nothing but a known enemy.

9. I really haven't had that exciting of a life. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done, instead of just sitting around and complaining about having a boring life. So I pretty much like to make it up. I'd rather tell a story about somebody else.

10. I started being really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't.


11. It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.

12. Rather be dead than cool.

13. We're so trendy we can't even escape ourselves.

14. The sun is gone, but I have a light.

15. I'm too busy acting like I'm not Naive. I've seen it all, I was here first.


16. We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.

17. I was looking for something a lot heavier, yet melodic at the same time. Something different from heavy metal, a different attitude.

18. The worst crime is faking it. 

19. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

20. I bought a gun and chose drugs instead.

21. I had a really good childhood up until I was nine, then a classic case of divorce really affected me.

22. So remember, it's better to burn out than fade away.

23. I won't eat anything green.

24. I've always had a problem with the average macho man - they've always been a threat to me.




25. Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self-esteem. They're no good at all.

26. Nobody dies a virgin...Life f... us all.

27. Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

28. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

29. There's good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too f... sad.

30. I knew I was different. I thought that I might be gay or something because I couldn't identify with any of the guys at all. None of them liked art or music. They just wanted to fight and get laid. It was many years ago but it gave me this real hatred for the average American macho male.

31. Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art.


32. If you're really a mean person you're going to come back as a fly and eat poop.

33. I mean I like to be passionate and sincere but I also like to have fun and act like a dork. Geeks unite.

34. I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.

35. Before I die many will die with me and they'll deserve it. See you in Hell.


36. I would like to get rid of the homophobes, sexists, and racists in our audience. I know they're out there and it really bothers me.


37. The finest day I ever had was when tomorrow never came.

38. Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

39. I don't care what you think unless it is about me.




40. I’m worse at what I do best.



41. You can't buy happiness.

42. I feel compelled to say f... you f... you to those of you who have absolutely no regard for me as a person. You have raped me harder than you’ll ever know. So again I say f... you although this phrase has totally lost its meaning. F... YOU! F... YOU.

43. Dreaming of the person you want to be is wasting the person you already are.

44. Birds are and always have been reincarnated old men with Tourette's syndrome having somehow managed to dupe the reproductive saga. They f... each other and tend to their home repairs and children while never missing their true mission. To scream at the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage every morning at daybreak to warn us all of the truth. They know the truth. Screaming bloody murder all over the world in our ears, but sadly we don't speak bird.

45. All In All Is All We Are.






46. Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion.

47. This song is dedicated to Frank Zappa, and River Phoenix, Fred Gwynne who played Herman Munster, Dixie Lee Ray, Thomas P, Tip O'Neil, and you, dumb ass, who just threw water on me.

48. Drugs are bad for you. They will f... you up.

49. She eyes me like a pisces.

50. Hi, my name is Kurt Cobain, I'm homosexual, I'm a pagan, I'm a drug abuser, and I like to f... pot-bellied pigs!

51. No True Talent is fully organic. Yet the superior talented have not only control of study but that extra special, little gift at birth-fueled by passion. A built in, totally spiritual, unexplainable, New Age, f... cosmic energy bursting love for passion. And yes, they are an even smaller percent amongst the small percent. And they are special!

52. I have very bad posture.


53. I was tired of pretending that I was someone else just to get along with people, just for the sake of having friendships.

54. Peace, love, empathy.

55. Don't read my diary when I'm gone.

56. Ok, I'm going to work now, when you wake up this morning, please read my diary. Look trough my things, and figure me out.

57. People think of life as being so sacred and they feel like this is their only chance and they have to do something with their life and make an impact. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a pitstop for the afterlife. It's just a little test to see how you can handle reality.

58. I only remember a few things about Jimmy Carter. He had big lips and liked peanuts. I now know that Jimmy Carter was and is a good man.

59. All I want…is mac and cheese.


60. I use bits and pieces of others personalities to form my own.


61. Believe everything you read.

62. If you read, you'll judge.

63. I'm on my time with everyone.

64. I don't need to be inspired any longer, just supported.

65. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.


66. I would love to be erased from our association with Pearl Jam or the Nymphs and other first time offenders.


67. If my eyes could show my soul,everyone would cry when they saw me smile.

68. Never met a wise man if so it's a woman!

69. Vandalism: beautiful as a rock in a cop's face.





70. In Aberdeen, I hated my best friends with a passion, because they were idiots.

71. I'd like to live off the band, but if not, I'll just retire to Mexico or Yugoslavia with a few hundred dollars, grow potatoes, and learn the history of rock through back issues of Creem magazine. 

72. It's really not hard to keep your dignity and sign to a major label...Most people don't have any dignity in the first place.

73. Rap music is the only vital form of music introduced since punk rock.

74. Rape is one of the most terrible crimes on earth. And it happens every few minutes. 

75. Hope I die before I turn into Pete Townshend. 


76. We sound like the Bay City Rollers after an assault by Black Sabbath. And, we vomit onstage better than anyone. 


77. If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs.

78. I just can’t believe anyone would start a band just to make the scene and be cool and have chicks. I just can’t believe it. 

79. I can’t comment on Soundgarden because I know them personally and I really like them a lot, but I have strong feelings towards Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains and bands like that. They’re obviously just corporate puppets that are just trying to jump on the alternative bandwagon - and we are being lumped into that category. 


80. Zits are beauty marks.

81. I wouldn’t wear a tie-dyed tee-shirt unless it was dyed with the urine of Phil Collins and the blood of Jerry Garcia. 

82. Yeah, I was run out of town. They chased me up to the castle of Aberdeen with torches. Just like the Frankenstein monster. And I got away in a hot air balloon. And I came here to Seattle. 



83. Jocks have completely taken over music...And just to get back at them, I’m going to start playing basketball.

84. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had voted me Most Likely To Kill Everyone At A High School Dance.

85. If I could get that girl to publish her poetry, the world would change. (On Courtney Love)





86. The thrill and embarrassment of becoming international pop stars was too much, so we opened our mouths and put our foot in sometimes.

87. I'm a much happier guy than a lot of people think I am.





88. I can't play (guitar) like Segovia. The flip side of that is that Segovia could probably never have played like me.

89. If it was up to me, I'd get more oil tanker drivers drunk. I don’t value music much. I like the Beatles, but I hate Paul McCartney. I like Led Zeppelin, but I hate Robert Plant. I like the Who, but I hate Roger Daltrey. 

90. They're claiming that (the grunge bands) finally put Seattle on the map, but, like, what map? ...I mean, we had Jimi Hendrix. Heck, what more do we want?






91. They (Extreme) surround themselves with these professional, dickhead, commercial rock and roll guys…when they show up at an airport, their manager runs ahead of them and yells at the people greeting them: "No video! We want a path straight to the van! We don't want any pictures taken!" Y'know, I'm like: "So what?"

92. Same thing happened in the punk movement in the late 70's…a punk band would start, play one gig, and get signed to a major label right away, 'cause it (was) a trend. That just shows there are a lot of old school dinosaurs in the record industry who need to be weeded out. 

93. Music comes first; lyrics are secondary. Most of my lyrics are contradictions. I'll write a few sincere lines, and then I'll have to make fun of (them). I don't like to make it too obvious, because if it is too obvious, it gets really stale. You shouldn't be in people's faces 100% all the time. We don't mean to be really cryptic or mysterious, but I just think that lyrics that are different and weird and spacey paint a nice picture. It's just the way I like art. 

94. I would like to think there's some purity in us, yeah. Naive - y'know, purposely naive.

95. Punk Rock (while still sacred to some) is, to me, dead and gone. We just wanted to pay tribute to something that helped us to feel as though we had crawled out of the dung heap of conformity.

96. I'll be the first to admit that we're the 90's version of Cheap Trick or the Knack but the last to admit that it hasn't been rewarding.

97. At this point I have a request for our fans. If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us - leave us the f... alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records.

98. Last year, a girl was raped by two wastes of sperm and eggs while they sang the lyrics to our song "Polly". I have a hard time carrying on knowing there are plankton like that in our audience.




99. To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility. 

100. John Lennon has been my idol all my life but he's dead wrong about revolution…find a representative of gluttony or oppression and blow the m... head off.






101. Why in the hell do journalists insist on coming up with a second rate Freudian evaluation on my lyrics when 90% of the time they've transcribed the lyrics incorrectly?

  1. 102. I mean it seems like there are only two options for songwriters personalities either they're sad, tragic visionaries like Morrissey or Michael Stipe or Robert Smith or theres the goofy, nutty white boy, Hey lets party and forget everything people like Van Halen or all that other Heavy metal crap.

103. When I hear the term Right wing I think of Hitler and Satan and Civil war.

104. I am not well read, but when I do read, I read well.


105. We're waiting for the dinosaurs to die out. They will die. And then we'll move into their homes. 


106. Hello, we're major label corporate rock sell outs.

107. There is plenty of chicken in the fridge.

108. I've been waiting for that! (After an audience member requests "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.)




109. I don't think MTV would let us play that. (After an audience member requests "Rape Me.")

110. What are they tuning, a harp? I thought we were a big rich rock band. We should have a whole bunch of extra guitars.

111. What's the matter with all you people at the back, did you come here to see Gloria Estefan?




112. OK, you trained monkeys, everybody jump up and down. Let's bring back the good old pogo!

113. I spent all of my life trying to stay away from sports and here I am in a sporting arena. 

114. It is not made of stone, it is not what has been written about her, she has emotions and feelings like everyone else and it really bothers her. And she is constantly fighting these things, trying to clarify everything.




115. I like to impeach God. I like to Abort christ. I like to f... sheep.

116. I wish there was someone I could ask for advice. Someone who wouldn’t make me feel like a creep for spilling my guts and trying to explain all the insecurities that have plagued me for oh, about 25 years now. I wish someone could explain to me why exactly I have no desire to learn anymore, why I used to have so much energy and the need to search for miles and weeks for anything new and different. Excitement. I was once a magnet for attracting new off beat personalities who would introduce me to new music and books of the obscure and I would soak it into my system like a rabid sex crazed junkie hyperactive mentally retarded toddler who’s just had her first taste of sugar.

117. I am obsessed with the fact that I am skinny and stupid.




118. Courtney, when I say I love you I am not ashamed, nor will anyone ever ever come close to intimidating, persuading, etc. me into thinking otherwise. I wear you on my sleeve. (Kurt Cobain Journals)

119. I like to take comfort in knowing that woman are the only future in rock and roll. (Kurt Cobain Journals) 

120. I found a gay friend who basically saved me from wanting to kill myself half the time. Apparently, everyone in high school knew he was gay, and they just didn’t bother to tell me or I just didn’t bother to notice until he decided to make a pass at me one night and I just flatly told him that I wasn’t gay but I’d still be his friend. After that, I just started to realize that people were looking at me even more peculiarly than usual and then I started getting harassed, especially in gym class. They felt threatened because they were naked and I was supposedly gay, so they either better cover up their penises or punch me… or both. But after that, I started being proud of the fact that I was gay, even though I wasn’t.

121. My heart is broke but I have some glue, help me inhale I’ll mend it with you.




122. I never went out of my way to say anything about my drug use. I didn't want some 15-year-old kid who likes our band to think it's cool to do heroin. I think people who glamorize drugs are f... a... and if there's a hell, they'll go there.

What do you think of Kurt Cobain's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts