Patricia Field Quotes

1. The way you dress yourself is a form of self-expression, and a way of communicating to others who you are. But style is broader than just fashion - it's not only the way you dress, but how you decorate your home, the books you read. It all runs together. The more ways you can express yourself the better, because then you are communicating at a higher level.

2. I chose fashion because I was naturally good at it. You can only do something because you love it, and if you love it you'll be good at it, and if you're good at it, you'll rise to the top.


3. (on the biggest fashion disaster) I hate the A-line skirt. It's like a lampshade. Ugly. Kristin Davis always wanted to wear A-line skirts as she thought it hid her big behind. She has a fabulous figure - she is completely hour glass, and I would say: "Kristin, you have a small waist - show off your round ass!" She would never show it. I wanted to make her into a Bettie Page in "Sex and the City," but all she wanted were A-line skirts and Ralph Lauren clothes.

4. I see a world that's very colorful and textured with ice flying through it.


5. I'm not tired of fashion. Fashion is my blood. But, it's, like, okay! Don't put me in that box. I'm more than fashion. I am the 360-degree woman.









6. People in fashion all they do is go and see John Galliano theater every season. That's what he gives them. To me, this was the same except it wasn't in a theater or in a movie. John lives in theater. It's theater. It's farce. But people in fashion don't recognize the farce in it. All of a sudden they don't know him. But it's OK when it's Mel Brooks' "The Producers" singing Springtime for Hitler.


7. (on David Cameron) He used to be, you know, good-looking; he looks fat now... He must have put on about 40, 50 pounds, that guy; he looks a mess! And that is not good because he's supposed to be an example for people. He's just globbing up food: he's gotten so fat, it's really bad.

8. (on her partnership with Kotex) I can feel a reason for this (project). I can feel it makes sense. It's not a big secret. Color makes people happy.




9. Choose what you like. Don't worry about what's trendy, what's in, who says what.

10. (on her favorite drink) I had vodka on the rocks, my drink. The Pat Classic - straight vodka on the rocks.


11. (on Carrie Bradshaw's tutu - interview for the Emmy TV Legends series) The big thing from the early days that stood out for me was the tulle skirt. We were going to shoot the opening credits, and so there were conferences about it and so on. I was in a showroom and there was a bucket on the floor, for like, five dollars each or something, and I pull out this tulle skirt, and I'm like: "I don't know, let's just take this. We'll see." So when I showed it to Sarah Jessica, she loved it. And I said: "Okay, so we'll put it with a little t-shirt," and she loved it. She felt it. And then we had to convince Darren (Star, the show's producer)! He didn't get it. I don't blame him - it's not his thing. And we were coming to him with something strange, in his mind. So we had to convince him. 

12. (Patricia Field admits she was scared to dress "Sex And The City 2" '80s Flashback Scene in which Sarah Jessica Parker wears white pumps by Brian Atwood) If it wasn't done well, it might have looked ridiculous to have 40- and 50-year-old women playing their younger selves in '80s attire. (But) I saw the movie and it worked....Thank God.

13. (about the "Sex And The City" movies) In the first movie, it was about the studded belt and the gladiator sandals. In (the second) movie, it is more about the clothing and whatever shoe works.


14. (on her secret to dressing with style) I'm the salad chef of fashion. I love to mix it all up - new and vintage. Designer and off the rack.


15. I'm exotic-looking and if I have an accessory that looks Middle Eastern, it will look great on me. If you recognize your essence and play it up, it works. You can't go against your nature, that's when you make mistakes.

16. (on her favorite ever trend to come out of SATC) I don't have any favorites. They didn't become my favorites because everybody ran and bought a name necklace or an oversized flower. I was happy for people to embrace the trends into their lives. 


17. (on what to emphasize on style: legs or boobs?) I suggest you flaunt one or the other. Both if you are feeling extra confident. 


18. (heels or flats?) Girls need relief from heels, so a flat. I like ballet slippers. What else is there: a sneaker or a flip flop? You can't wear those to the office. 


19. (on how many pairs of shoes she owns) I lose count.

20. (on her cheapest find) Sarah Jessica Parker wore this deep turquoise bird in her hair as a hat in the movie. It's vintage, probably from the 20s. We found that bird in a costume rental house in New York City.

21. I find it hard to throw out clothes. 


22. (on her style icon) Gwen Stefani stands out. She has her own style. It has nothing to do with contemporary fashion, or what's trendy this year - it's her own thing. 




23. (on who she likes most to makeover) I would like to whizz Hillary Clinton into shape. I hope she will watch "Confessions Of A Shopaholic" and give me a call. 


24. (on her red hair) I like colour. I'm in my 60s which was when I began using colour on my hair. And I wear green glasses. Sometimes I like to clash or vibrate two colours together, like red and pink. 







25. I don't work with divas. In a healthy situation, it's not "I refuse to wear this." It's more like: "Well, let me try it on, I've never worn something like that before." I'm there to support the actress. There are no cat fights. 


26. (on the appeal of "Confessions Of A Shopaholic") It's based on a best-selling novel about a girl who loves to shop, so that was exciting to begin with. When I read the script, I pictured a big bowl full of M&Ms of every colour. I could sense the elevated energy and atmosphere of the movie. That excited me because I live in a world of hyper-exaggerated reality myself, so it was perfect. 

27. (on being asked: "Anything Isla Fisher refused to wear on "Confessions Of A Shopaholic") No, because she is beautiful and understands fashion. She is extremely positive, full of energy and has great ideas. She sees the clothes she wears as part of the character she is creating. She wore very high heels because she created a special walk which added to the comedy.


28. Style is not about money; you could have no money and great style or tons of money and no style. 


29. (on being asked if she has to pay for clothes) Yes, when I go to Zara!

30. (on getting her start) I didn't (intentionally) go into fashion. I just wanted to start a business. In 1971, I opened my first store and then moved to a bigger store about five years later.

31. (on the economic downturn) I'm not feeling this doom and gloom at all. These times are good because they level the playing field - they allow young designers to get in the game. We're all in the same boat and we're feeling the waves together.


32. (on the "Sex and the City" tipping point) At the end of the first season of "Sex and the City," we realized it was generating a lot of buzz, but it was really in the second season that we realized that this show had blown out of the box.






33. (on how shoes stole the show) It was me, my team and Sarah Jessica Parker, who is also shoe crazy. She is crazy about every shoe ever created for her to wear - so it became a thing. They didn't write the show for fashion, but they realized it was the hook and latched on to it.


34. (on her partnership with Payless ShoeSource) I love the people - great to work with, calm, down-to-earth. It's amazing how far we've come. We started when (Collective Brands CEO) Matt Rubel brought this team together and I started to do domestic advertising with them. Then, I was nominated for an Oscar (in 2006 for "The Devil Wears Prada") and got to make my own shoes for the red carpet. (That turned) into a boutique collection (for Payless) that grew and naturally developed.

35. (on how hot styles turn up in unexpected places) I'm wearing the (Dior gladiator) shoe that created the storm of trends for the last three years - from Manolo to Louis Vuitton. I put it on Sarah Jessica Parker's foot in the ("Sex and the City") movie and I knew what was going to happen. I had found it in New York before Christmastime - it didn't get any visibility because it must have been a late delivery or something - and bought it because I loved it. I brought mine in to show her, but it was six months later. So we searched and searched, and we finally found it at the outlets in Westchester County in New York. It became a heavy trend.

36. (on the next "it" shoe) I don't necessarily go trendspotting. I just put things together that I think look nice. But I am getting tired of these heavy shoes. I'm ready for nice, refined shoes. I'm wanting that Halston simplicity. But that's just a feeling.





37. (on her future aspirations) I'm not sure. Maybe directing a movie or having a TV show. (I'd like to) move on from the styling thing. So hopefully new things will come along.


What do you think of Patricia Fields quotes?



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts