June Allyson Quotes

1. (assessing her appeal as a performer) I have big teeth. I lisp. My eyes disappear when I smile. My voice is funny. I don't sing like Judy Garland. I don't dance like Cyd Charisse. But women identify with me. And while men desire Cyd Charisse, they'd take me home to meet Mom.  



2. The role of Barbara, in "Music for Millions", was literally a tonic for me.


3. I couldn't dance, and, Lord knows, I couldn't sing, but I got by somehow. Richard Rodgers was always keeping them from firing me.


4. For the first time in my life I feel important. I'd like to have five babies.

5. If you see someone without a smile, give him yours.

6. So, to prepare for the role, I had to take music lessons, talk to wives who had husbands overseas, and carefully study the reactions and mannerisms of a friend who was expecting.


7. The only parental authority I had was the studio. When I was a star, there was always somebody with me, to guard me. I was not allowed to be photographed with a cigarette, a drink, a cup of coffee or even a glass of water because someone might think it was liquor. When I left the studio I was already married and had two children, but I felt as sad as a child leaving home for the first time.

8. I'd just as soon stay home and raise babies.


9. I'm not a career woman.





10. In real life I'm a poor dressmaker and a terrible cook - anything in fact but the perfect wife.

11. The first day I arrived, they told me to go home and get rid of that cold.



12. Because of the wealth of fine music spread through the film, working on it held all the fun and excitement of attending a great concert.


13. MGM was my mother and father, mentor and guide, my all-powerful and benevolent crutch. When I left them, it was like walking into space.


14. I was at a luncheon; and some cameras were trained on us. I don't know whether they were for television or not. You know how little I know about cameras.

15. (on Joan Crawford) I tried to be a good listener. I decided that was what she wanted all along - not so much a friend as an audience.

16. I don't like to fight.

17. It was my first straight dramatic role, and the most adult, intelligent one I have ever played.


What do you think of June Allyson's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts