Lisa Marie Presley Quotes

1. I had no interest in hanging out with other celebrity kids, and I was certainly no cheerleader, so I started mixing with outsiders. I was very into all kinds of experimentation.


2. I liked an Aretha Franklin song and I went into the studio to do a cover to see if I could sing. I basically walked in there and said: "Let's just try this, and if I can't, let's just walk out of here and act like nothing happened." You know, I'm pretty brutally honest with myself.


3. (about Michael Jackson) He was an amazing person and I am lucky to have gotten as close to him as I did and to have had the many experiences and years that we had together.

4. The lyrics are more conceptual than anything. They're not particularly about a person. They're just metaphorical, conceptual, of a time and place, ideal, life, that I once knew.


5. You want to know the best thing and the worst thing about me? I see things as they really are. People really bullshit themselves. I don't like any filter or rainbows or fluff. And sometimes it is a blessing. And sometimes it makes me the biggest f... pain in the a... ever. Because people don't want to see that.

6. I live with selected people I've sort of made into my family and that's my kind of fortress. I know that I'm safe, despite what else is going on in the outside world.




7. Look at the amounts Ben Affleck has lavished on J-Lo. When Nic opens his wallet, moths fly out.

8. Music has always gotten me through life, particularly honest, real music.


9. (on films made about her father Elvis Presley) There can be a sort of cheesy take on him, which I don't always love sometimes - you know, the later years and that whole thing with his white jumpsuit. Now I'm probably over it. But I mean it was kind of running wild for a while. It was a little bit cringe-worthy.

10. My life has been unusual. I was born to unusual circumstances, but I'm surviving and going through crap just like anybody else. Sure, it might be on a different level and maybe in a different way, but my life is the same as anybody's. When people look at any life under a microscope, it might seem terrible, but I've met people with worse stories.

11. (on the suggestion that Michael Jackson used their relationship for promotion) It would be "come and meet me here" and when I turned up there would be press everywhere.


12. I wanted to put something real out there to end 35 years of speculation. My hope is that I can break through my legacy and earn my own credentials as an artist. Not for some stupid superficial reason, like I want to be a pop icon, but because it would make me feel more like I could hold my head up.


13. Anything my father did for me or gave me was done out of love. I'm sure I had moments when I was a snot. But my mom was there to smack me back to the other side.

14. If I'm alone too long I think too much, and I'm not interested in doing that. That won't lead anywhere good, I'm sure. If I'm busy I tend to stay out of trouble. An idle mind is the devil's playground.

15. Stardom is difficult. It is a lonely, alienated position. You sometimes put yourself on a different plane than everyone else. That causes problems.


16. Mostly singing was cathartic, writing was cathartic, therapeutic. I don't think I had a goal, particularly, to sing or put it out there for anybody.

17. For some reason, when I turned 30 I became a teenager again and it wasn't really by my own will, it just happened. I married and had my first baby at 21, so I had it together early on. But I started acting about 15 again when I turned 30. So I guess that makes me 19 now.


18. If I put out something that is actually credible, and recognised as such, then I feel a little more justified as a human, you know.

19. I was quite the spoiled brat. I have quite a temper, obviously inherited from my father, and I became very good at ordering everyone around. I was the princess; the staff were absolutely terrified of me.

20. Being Elvis Presley's daughter is a whole lot of pressure. It's been a constant burden in my life.


21. On my US tour maybe three out of 30 shows there was an Elvis impersonator in the crowd but that's it. I usually get younger fans, and those that come that are of an older generation end up walking out because it's too loud.

22. Power or celebrity, you walk a really fine line. It's a struggle to keep your sanity, to keep on a straight line.

23. I didn't make this record to set the record straight or anything. I just wanted to put something out there, and I'm glad I have. I'd be having much more fun with all this if I was in the least bit vain or desperate for attention, but I'm not, so, you know...


24. I don't do yoga. I bite the hella outta my nails. I smoke, I eat all the wrong food, I don't exercise.




25. I'll say it loud and say it proud. I'm completely insane.

26. I do feel relieved. I do feel like I did what I needed to do for myself, and for whoever's out there who wants to be moved by me. I aimed it at people who are willing to be moved by music as I have in my life. It's more about the music for me. It is a relief.


27. When they divorced, I would go out on the road more and miss more school, which I liked. People say I didn't get to see him very much, but I was with him quite a bit. All of a sudden, a car would show up at school, and he was calling for me to go out on the road.





28. With a lot of hair and make-up then I'm possibly, remotely attractive. But it's rare, I don't think I'm ugly but I'm nothing particularly special. I'm not a yoga and health girl. I don't exercise that much and I eat crap and smoke and bite my nails.


29. I have a lot of memories, but I don't go into capitalizing on that. Something's got to be my own. I'm not doing the record to sit here and broadcast my memories of my father.

30. I'm like a lion - I roar. If someone betrays me, I won't be a victim. I don't sulk, I get angry. I go immediately into retaliation. But it always comes from insecurity or pain.


31. I'm more of a tomboy than anything and then you see your name on these Top 50 Most Beautiful People lists and you're like: "What?"




32. I don't respond to music that's not honest, and music's had a huge influence on my whole life. It's gotten me through everything. I don't respond to music that's full of crap . Since it's also a therapeutic and cathartic thing for me to write, I'm not going to go halfway or be some puffball.


33. I got an early education on how bad men and women can act. Most of those people were sucking the life out of him.




34. I'm a hypochondriac. Yesterday it was brain damage from the vodka the night before. Today, heart attack - my arm and chest started hurting at the same time.

35. I had anything but a happy childhood. Two words: lonely and deep. I was very lonely and way too deep for someone so young.


36. I guess I don't get inspired to write when I'm happy. And I don't respond to music that I don't feel was honestly pulled from a genuine place. I'm very much influenced by Roger Waters and Pink Floyd.



37. I'm female, thank God, because if I was male this really would be difficult. And, of course, I don't attempt to sound like my father - I do my own thing.


38. How many people have a family grave in the backyard? I'm sure I'll end up there, or I'll shrink my head and put it in a glass box in the living room. I'll get more tourists to Graceland that way.


39. I want a fingerprint of my own and I want credibility, and that's all I want. I just want some substance to my existence.


40. I don't deal well with admiration if it's for something I haven't done. Other than exist.




41. I'm the bravest that I've ever been right now. Don't ask me where I got these balls: I have no idea.

42. I do like to write nasty songs. It's a useful weapon to have, and it's cathartic as well, because I create art out of anger, something positive out of something negative.


43. It hasn't happened very often that I've actually given my heart. Sometimes I can be completely smitten, but I'll still keep it back at arm's length. Because if I do give it to someone and I get hurt, it's tragic. It incapacitates me. I have to be really careful of that. But that's not to say I would be opposed to falling in love with somebody.


44. I have a tendency to kick it up. I like to rattle the cage.


45. I'm sure there's no way to escape the fact that I was heavily influenced by him. I was only around his music and him most of the early part of my life. It's impossible not to have been inspired or influenced.


46. I dropped out of school in the 11th grade because there was no purpose in it for me. I'm not proud of this, and I'm not trying to promote it.

47. If people are expecting me to be like my dad they're going to be disappointed. I'm nothing like him. I'm in a completely different category.


48. I knew that because of who I am, and the situation I'm in, that I'd attract more critics than your average person, and that was a little intimidating, but I wanted to get out there and pay my dues.

49. Scientology is an encyclopaedia for life. It's non-denominational, it doesn't judge, it's a lot about self-discovery, and it helped me so much for one reason: it works. It helped me through my drugs, and it helps me still. It's my main anchor in life.


50. I like "Jailhouse Rock" and "Love Me Tender". The black-and-white films. With music, I tend more toward the '70s stuff because I was at the shows for those, so they bring back memories.









51. After my father died, I stayed relatively sane for two years, although I did lose my noodle at summer camp right after my dad's death. But when I hit 12, 13, that was it. I hated my mom's boyfriend, and there was a lot of control on me. I didn't like that, so I rebelled.


52. I never not wanted to be a singer. Since I was 3, I knew this was what I wanted to do. Well, I can't say I wanted to do it, but I fantasized and thought about it all the time. I never thought it would actually happen.

53. Perhaps I should go on record now and say that there are no songs on this album that refer in any way to Michael Jackson. Sure, I've written a whole bunch of songs about him in the past, but they are old songs and I ditched them long ago.


54. I really went back through a lot of the dark corridors of my life in this. I wanted people to know who I am based on my music, not on what they read in the tabloids.


55. I'll be comfortable on stage if people come because they like the album and they really want to see me. Not because they look at it as a curiosity, or they're really skeptical.

56. I remember him watching me through the crack of a door singing with a hairbrush. I was in front of his mirror. I think he wanted me to sing. He would get me on the table and make me sing sometimes or play the piano. He was very encouraging on that front.


57. I've been through enough in my time where I've needed to outlet it. If I can do that in a way where I'm going to touch others and affect others then I'd rather do it like that.


58. I think I've failed every test I've ever taken. If there was a failure I would have been it.

59. A couple of months ago I hauled my white a... on stage alongside Chaka Khan and Stevie Wonder for Divas Las Vegas, singing in front of a celebrity audience. If I can hold my own there, I can hold my own at Top of the Pops, trust me.


60. I wanted to come through with my own voice and, hopefully, have it affect people. I want people to know that I'm not an Elvis impersonator.

61. The reason I did this, and the reason the record is called To Whom It May Concern, is that there are going to be people who will immediately judge me, or label me, or try to shut me down right out of the gate. And it's them versus someone who's moved by the music.


62. I was very protective of my father and I didn't like these people who hung around outside all day. They creeped me out.




63. I'm being completely honest right now, and I might get my a... kicked, but would you honestly want someone dressed like your dead father in front of you while you're working?


64. I'm just not interested in selling out to get on the charts and make people happy.

65. Facing the press is endlessly daunting for me. But I am learning to use it to my advantage. If the tabloids come up with the latest ridiculous lie about me - and they always do - then now I can rectify it the following week in a proper interview with a serious newspaper. That's a novelty.

66. I'm more prone to his '70s material, which is what I was around for and watched a lot. I listen to a lot of that stuff. It probably influenced me quite a bit. I'm more drawn to the darker, sadder songs.


67. I write about subjects that are close to my heart, but not every one of them is necessarily about the men in my life. Maybe two or three at most…That's why I called it To "Whom It May Concern". Go speculate.


68. I've been chased through airports with a screaming baby because the photographers are ruthless, and they want the picture.

69. I'm not a big mover. Apparently I do have some mannerisms on stage.


70. I'm not doing this to be a pop star. I've had plenty of money and attention. I'm doing it for credibility.



71. I use songs as weapons. I've written some really good, nasty songs about people I've been involved with and then I make sure they hear it somehow.

72. I'm trying to have my own thing, and I don't know if it's even possible. I didn't realize so many people actually think I'm trying to be like my dad. I read comments like "She's no Elvis." I'm not trying to be. I never set out to be.


73. My relationship with my mother is fine. It took us a while to get there, but it's fine. Because we're completely the opposites of each other, so we didn't find our place with one another until about a year and a half ago. It's been a bit, like, a hit-and-miss situation.


74. I'm not eager to jump into marriage again. I'm in the corner right now, wearing my dunce cap. That area is obviously a nightmare.


What do you think of Lisa Marie Presley's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!


Comments

Popular Posts