Johnny Depp Quotes

1. There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.



2. Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for.


3. France, and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing though is that people there know how to live! In America they've forgotten all about it. I'm afraid that the American culture is a disaster.


4. I am doing things that are true to me. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled.


5. If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that it's OK to be different, that it's good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.




6. As a teenager I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fitted in because he never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition too.

7. Am I a romantic? I've seen "Wuthering Heights" ten times. I'm a romantic.


8. I think the thing to do is enjoy the ride while you're on it.


9. I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it.

10. I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.

11. When kids hit one year old, it's like hanging out with a miniature drunk. You have to hold onto them. They bump into things. They laugh and cry. They urinate. They vomit.


12. If you catch me saying "I am a serious actor," I beg you to slap me.


13. You use your money to buy privacy because during most of your life you aren't allowed to be normal.

14. I think everybody's nuts.

15. I don't pretend to be captain weird. I just do what I do.

16. The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.


17. The beauty, the poetry of the fear in their eyes. I didn't mind going to jail for, what, five, six hours? It was absolutely worth it.



18. I'm an old-fashioned guy... I want to be an old man with a beer belly sitting on a porch, looking at a lake or something.

19. It's all kinds of these profound things crashing on you when your child arrives into the world. It's like you've met your reason to live.

20. I was ecstatic they re-named "French Fries" as "Freedom Fries". Grown men and women in positions of power in the U.S. government showing themselves as idiots.


21. Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.

22. I like the challenge of trying different things and wondering whether it's going to work or whether I'm going to fall flat on my face.

23. For a long time I tried to manage an honesty and openness about my personal life because I'm human and I'm normal - well, semi-normal.

24. People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, by the worlds inside people.


25. Anything I've done up till May 27th 1999 was kind of an illusion, existing without living. My daughter, the birth of my daughter, gave me life.

26. I guess I'm attracted to these off beat roles because my life has been a bit abnormal. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled.

27. I was angry and frustrated until I started my own family and my first child was born. Until then I didn't really appreciate life the way I should have, but fortunately I woke up.

28. The term "serious actor" is kind of an oxymoron, isn't it? Like "Republican party" or "airplane food."

29. The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - "Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured". That kind of thing.


30. With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it's just not acting. It's lying.





31. The quality of life is so different in France. There is the possibility of living a simple life. I would never contemplate raising my daughter in LA. I would never raise any child there.

32. How many chances to you get to make a musical about a serial killer? The minute Tim Burton approached me, I was in.

33. I may have a feather duster down my pants.

34. I'm not sure I'm adult yet. 


35. It's good to experience Hollywood in short bursts, I guess. Little snippets. I don't think I can handle being here all the time, it's pretty nutty.



36. You grow up a bit damaged or broken then you have some success but you don't know how to feel good about the work you're doing or the life you're leading.

37. There are necessary evils. Money is an important thing in terms of representing freedom in our world. And now I have a daughter to think about. It's really the first time I've thought about the future and what it could be.


38. There is nothing on earth that could ever make me want to relive certain years of my life when I was young.

39. Over the years all these vampire movies have come out and nobody looks like a vampire anymore.

40. Trips to the dentist - I like to postpone that kind of thing.

41. I'd rather fight a buzzsaw than dance.

42. I don't want to run around and look at a shot through a monitor. That doesn't improve what I'm trying to do. I figure, once I've done my job, it's none of my business.


43. There's a drive in me that won't allow me to do certain things that are easy.




44. I'm not Blockbuster Boy.

45. I remember in that red leisure suit I sort of felt like a Pizza Hut employee, and the white one was the ultimate, with the white turtleneck collar, that was the ultimate in bad taste.

46. The idea of dancing is the only thing that scares me.

47. It's an odd thing when there is a fan page for my daughter who is not yet 13.

48. People will say a movie bombed at the box office but I couldn't care less.

49. There's no truth anymore. 


50. You do the work and you want people to see it; but, um while I'm doing the work, the result doesn't matter at all to me. Ultimately, I don't, I don't care whether the film is - you know - some big giant box-office bonanza and I don't care if its a complete flop. To me, when a film gets made and it's actually finished it's a success. They're all a success in their own way.

51. I'd do it exactly the same. I wanted to work with Angelina and I felt like I had a good handle on the character. It was not a character that I’d really played before. I don't know the main ingredient of success at the box office. I just feel that's not something I can do anything about.

52. When I'm at our house in France I totally cut myself off from the rest of the world. I never have to listen to phones ringing and that's because - and Vanessa would confirm this - phones are banned from the house. We have a beautiful life and I feel that spending time in France has just calmed me down and made me stop worrying about things which aren't really important.


53. We're all damaged in our own way. Nobody's perfect. I think we are all somewhat screwy, every single one of us.




54. If someone were to harm my family or a friend or somebody I love, I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years, but I would eat them.


55. My self-image it still isn't that alright. No matter how famous I am, no matter how many people go to see my movies, I still have the idea that I'm that pale no-hoper that I used to be. A pale no-hoper that happens to be a little lucky now. Tomorrow it'll be all over, then I'll have to go back to selling pens again.

56. A woman who would steal your love when your love is all you really have isn't much of a woman.

57. All that matters is the ending, its the most important part of the story, and this one is very good. This one is perfect.


58. My body is a journal in a way. It's like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist.

59. I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it. It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful.


60. They stick you with those names, those labels - "rebel" or whatever; whatever they like to use. Because they need a label; they need a name. They need something to put the price tag on the back of.


61. If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one. Because if you really loved the first one, then you wouldn't have fallen for the second.

62. I don't think anybody's necessarily ready for death. You can only hope that when it approaches, you feel like you've said what you wanted to say. Nobody wants to go out in mid-sentence.


63. I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.

64. Just keep moving forward and don't give a shit about what anybody thinks. Do what you have to do, for you.

65. They say the world used to be bigger. The world's still the same - there's just less in it.

66. One of the greatest pieces of advice I've ever gotten in my life was from my mom. When I was a little kid there was a kid who was bugging me at school and she said: "Okay, I'm gonna tell you what to do. If the kid's bugging you and puts his hands on you; you pick up the nearest rock…


67. You gotta be careful: don't say a word to nobody about nothing anytime ever.




68. I always felt like I was meant to have been born in another era, another time.

69. Growing old is unavoidable, but never growing up is possible. I believe you can retain certain things from your childhood if you protect them - certain traits, certain places where you don't let the world go.


70. My daughter was asked by a little old lady in a London hotel restaurant what her daddy did. She answered: "He's a pirate" - I was very proud of that answer.



71. Everything here is edible; even I'm edible. But that, dear children, is cannibalism, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.

72. I don't care. I'm just gonna smoke. I'm just gonna totally smoke. I'll finish these, go to the store and get a brand new pack, smoke the shit out of that one.

73. When I see someone who just follows their dream and succeeds, and just does basically what they want to do and doesn't have to answer to anyone, obviously not harming anyone, that's great.


74. I suppose nowadays it's all a question of surgery, isn't it? Of course the notion is beautiful, the idea of staying a boy and a child forever, and I think you can. I have known plenty of people who, in their later years, had the energy of children and the kind of curiosity and fascination with things like little children. I think we can keep that, and I think it's important to keep that part of staying young. But I also think it's great fun growing old.

75. Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.


76. You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

77. I'm having too much fun today to worry about tomorrow.

78. (on buying a private island) Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it buys you a big enough yacht to sail right up to it.

79. America is dumb. It's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive. My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out.

80. I would do anything Tim (Burton) wanted me to. You know - have sex with an aardvark... I would do it.


81. One of the most incredible moments I've ever had was sitting in Vincent's trailer…I was showing him this first-edition book I have of the complete works of (Edgar Allan Poe), with really amazing illustrations. Vincent was going nuts over the drawings, and he started talking about The Tomb of Ligeia (1964). Then he closed the book and began to recite it to me in this beautiful voice, filling the room with huge sounds. Such passion! I looked in the book later, and it was verbatim. Word perfect. It was a great moment. I'll never forget that.

82. Taken in context, what I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation. It is a shame that the metaphor I used was taken so radically out of context and slung about irresponsibly by the news media. There was no anti-American sentiment. In fact, it was just the opposite.

83. Captain Jack Sparrow is like a cross between Keith Richards and Pepe Le Pew.


84. I can remember when I finished Edward Scissorhands (1990), looking in the mirror as the girl was doing my make-up for the last time and thinking - it was like the 90th or 89th day of shooting - and I remember looking and going: "Wow, this is it. I'm saying goodbye to this guy, I'm saying goodbye to Edward Scissorhands". You know, it was kind of sad. But in fact, I think they're all still somehow in there.

85. (when asked by James Lipton on "Inside the Actors Studio" (1994) what attracts him to funny hats) I don't know, maybe I just read too much Dr. Seuss as a kid.

86. (about being dragged behind a carriage in the woods on Sleepy Hollow (1999)) I wasn't afraid of getting hurt. I was just afraid that the horses may relieve themselves on the journey.


87. This is a rumor-filled society and if people want to sit around and talk about whom I've dated, then I'd say they have a lot of spare time and should consider other topics…or masturbation.

88. The character I've played, that I've responded to, there has been a lost-soul quality to them.

89. Sure, I find it touching, honestly, but awards are not as important to me as when I meet a ten-year-old kid who says: "I love Captain Jack Sparrow" … that's real magic for me.

90. On a film you start to get closer and closer with the people you're working with, and it becomes like this circus act or this traveling family.


91. If you turn on the television and see the horrors that are happening to people in the world right now, I think there's no better time to strive to have some kind of hope through imagination. I think it's a time to close your eyes and try to make a change, or at least hope to make a change, or we're going to explode.

92. (asked why he hides his looks behind strange wigs, fake teeth and girly squeals) I think it's an actor's responsibility to change every time. Not only for himself and the people he's working with, but for the audience. If you just go out and deliver the same dish every time…it's meat loaf again…you'd get bored. I'd get bored.


93. We had been shooting (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)) for about a month, and I was beginning to get nervous because there weren't any phone calls. I called my agent and asked: "Has no one called from the studio to complain or say: "Hey, what's he doing?" or "Hey, he's freaking us out?" " And when she said: "No", I though: "Christ, I'm not doing enough! Something's wrong!" Then some of the studio brass came over to the set, and they were sitting in my trailer and I was all decked out as Wonka with the little bangs. And I just had to know. So I said: "Okay, who was the first one, when you started seeing the dailies, that got a little worried?" And there was this beautiful 30-second silence. And (Warner Bros. president) Alan F. Horn finally said: "Yeah, that was me". I felt better instantly.

94. (on Gene Wilder's comment on the remake of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)) Hearing about that was disappointing, but I can understand where he's coming from, I guess. The one thing I didn't understand was that apparently he was quoted as saying: "Well, they just did this for money". Well, hey, man, where have you been? When didn't they ever do anything for money? Nobody's ever made a film in the history of cinema where they weren't expecting some return on their dough.

95. (on his daughter, Lily-Rose) I see this amazing, beautiful, pure angel-thing wake up in the morning, and nothing can touch that. She is the only reason to wake up in the morning, the only reason to take a breath. Everything else is checkers.


96. (on reactions to his directorial debut) You know what was traumatizing, what was very, very strange in terms of this film I directed a few years back called The Brave (1997). Well, I guess I wouldn't say traumatizing, but I would say weird: at the premiere of the film the reception of it was beyond any expectation that I had. I had no idea I'd be looking at (Bernardo Bertolucci) or (Michelangelo Antonioni) sitting there watching my film. And then to receive the applause that my film got, it was so incredible. And then the next day the majority of the American press just turn it into this horrible thing. Once again, everybody is entitled to their opinion, man. Maybe it's a bad film? Maybe it's a good film? To me it's just a film. It's something I needed to make.

97. I started out as a guitarist in the early '80s. I hooked up with a guy who idolized James Dean and he gave me a copy of the Dean biography: "The Mutant King", which I thought was really interesting. While reading the book I watched Rebel Without a Cause (1955), and I thought: "Wow, this guy really has something", and I was hooked. I wasn't really into acting at the time - but James Dean was the catalyst.

98. I don't have a mental picture of the houses we lived in because there were so many.

99. (on being an uncle) My sister Christi had a baby when I was 17, and I had just heard about crib death. The horrible thing was that it wasn't understood. For some unknown reason the baby would stop breathing. So I would sneak into where the baby was sleeping and put my hand in her crib, hold her little finger, and I'd sleep on the floor like that. It was stupid, I'm sure. But I thought the warmth of my hand might help, that maybe if she felt my pulse it would remind her to breathe.


100. Marlon Brando is maybe the greatest actor of the last two centuries. But his mind is much more important than the acting thing. The way that he looks at things, doesn't judge things, the way that he assesses things. He's as important as, uh…who's important today? Jesus, not many people…Stephen Hawking!



101. There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. It's the magical thing about musicals, you know, on the stage or on film or whatever. Love songs. They work so well because music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.


102. (asked by Rolling Stone if there was a "gay undercurrent" in his character Capt. Jack Sparrow in the "Pirates of the Caribbean' films) Well, there was a great book I read… What was it called? "Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition". A very interesting book. I wasn't exactly going for that with the character. And Keith is not flamboyant in his actions. Keith is pretty stealth. But with Jack, it was more that I liked the idea of being ambiguous, of taking this character and making everything a little bit… questionable. Because women were thought to be bad luck on ships. And these pirates would go out for years at a time. So, you know, there is a possibility that one thing might lead to another.

103. (Marlon Brando) wanted me to escape movies for a while - "Take a year off. Go on. Study Shakespeare". So it's one of the things that keep ricocheting around in my head. He told me that by the time he had got to the point where he felt he could do "Hamlet", it was too late. So he sai: "Do it now, do it while you can". And I would like to do it - although it's one of the more frightening ideas I've had. I think as an actor it is good to feel the fear of failing miserably. I think you should take that risk. Fear is a necessary ingredient in everything I do. But if I do "Hamlet" it will probably be in a small theater on a small stage and it will have to be very, very soon because I'm getting a little long in the tooth for it.

104. Having kids was a huge change for me. Becoming a father. But I think more than changing, I feel like I've been revealed to myself, I kind of found out who I was. When you meet your child for the first time and you're looking at this angel, you start realizing what an idiot you've been for so many years and how much time you've wasted. As far as being feet-on-the-ground, once again my kids and (girlfriend Vanessa Paradis) have given me a proper foundation. A sense of home that I never had in my life, a real sense of a place to be.

105. I loved playing Edward Scissorhands (1990) because there's nothing cynical, jaded or impure about him. It's almost a letdown to look in the mirror and realize I'm not Edward.

106. What I said was, the United States of America is a young country compared to Europe, compared to, you know, other countries. We're young. We're 200 and something years old.


107. (on director Tim Burton) What more can I say about him? He is a brother, a friend, my godson's father. He is a unique and brave soul, someone that I would go to the ends of the earth for, and I know, full and well, he would do the same for me.

108. (on preparing to sing as Sweeney Todd) It's a bit like jumping into cold water. There's no preparing, you just do it.

109. (about Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)) It was mentioned that they were considering a movie based on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and I said I was in. There was no screenplay, no director, nothing. For some unknown reason, I just said I was in.


110. (about girlfriend Vanessa Paradis) I pretty much fell in love with Vanessa the moment I set eyes on her. As a person, I was pretty much a lost cause at that time in my life. She turned all that around for me with her incredible tenderness and understanding.


111. I love our house in the country. I can walk to the nearby village and have a coffee and no one pays any notice. I'm just another dad with my daughter on my knee. The time I've spent in France with (girlfriend Vanessa Paradis) has solidified my belief that I can keep a major distance from Hollywood and still keep in the game. Acting is my living, but I don't want to live it. Living in France is the first time I can honestly say I feel at home.


112. All the amazing people that I've worked with - Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman - have told me consistently: don't compromise. Do your work, and if what you're giving is not what they want, you have to be prepared to walk away.

113. (about Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)) I only wanted to be in a movie that my kids could see.

114. I had never experienced that before. And it's been fun to visit Hollywood and talk to studios as a bankable actor for a change.

115. I started smoking at 12, lost my virginity at 13 and did every kind of drug there was by 14. Pretty much any drug you can name, I've done it. I wouldn't say I was bad or malicious, I was just curious. I certainly had my little experiences with drugs. Eventually, you see where that's headed and you get out.


116. I played rock'n'roll clubs in Florida. I was underage, but they would let me come in the back door to play, and then I'd have to leave after the first set. That's how I made a living, at about $25 a night. At times we could make $2,100 - we used to make that for the entire group and the road crew, which is a lot.


117. My father left and my mother was deeply hurt and sick physically and emotionally. That's a very traumatic thing for a family to go through, so we all pulled together and did the best we could.

118. I remember carving my initials on my arm and I've scarred myself from time to time since then. In a way your body is a journal and the scars are sort of entries in it.

119. I can remember my parents fighting and us kids wondering who was going to go with whom if they got divorced.


120. (about his first marriage) I guess I have very traditional kinds of sensibilities about that kind of stuff - you know, a man and a woman sharing their life together and having a baby, whatever - and I think for a while I was trying to right the wrongs of my parents because they split up when I was a kid, so I thought I could do it differently - make things work. I had the right intentions, but the wrong timing - and the wrong person. But I don't regret it; I had fun and I learned a lot.

121. You know, I was married, when I was 20. It was a strong bond with someone, but I can't necessarily say I was in love. That's something that comes around once, man, maybe twice if you're lucky. And I don't know that I experienced that, let's say, before I turned 30.


122. (about a scene in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)) I love this stuff. The kid falls asleep and it's all over, he's sucked right into the bed and spit out as blood. His bloody body rises straight out and then topples over, too. I heard somebody talk about having a dummy shot out of the bed, but I said: "Hey, I want to do this! It'll be fun! Let me do it!"

123. (about A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)) I was just not what (director Wes Craven) had written for the story. He had written the part of a big, blond, beach jock, football player guy. And I was sort of emaciated, with old hairspray and spiky hair, earrings, a little catacomb dweller. Then five hours later that agent called me and said: "You're an actor".

124. (about his career as a salesman) The last couple of times I did it, I just said: "Listen, you don't want this stuff, man".


125. (about his job of selling pens over the phone) I was working a day job selling ink pens over the phone and getting maybe $100 a week, but I thought: "What have I got to lose?"


126. (about The Kids in Hollywood) It was horrible. There were so many bands it was impossible to make any money. So we all got side jobs. We used to sell ads over the telephone. Telemarketing. We got $100 a week. We had to rip people off. We'd tell them they'd been chosen by so-and-so in their area to receive a grandfather clock. They would order $500 worth of these f... things and we would send them a cheap grandfather clock. It was horrible.

127. I don't care if they take my photograph. I don't care if they take Vanessa's photograph - we're adults. But when they start taking photos of my kids and putting them in their magazines that I can't support.


128. I've also gotten weird letters, suicide letters, girls threatening to jump if I don't get in touch with them. So you think: "This is bullsh**t," but then you think: "What if it's not?" Who wants to take that chance? I write them back, tell them to hang in there, if things are that bad, they have to get better. But I'm not altogether stable myself, so who am I to give advice? (1988)

129. I despise those prick actors who say: "I was in character," and "I became the character," and all that stuff. It's hideous. It's just masturbation at the highest level.


130. I had an incident with a really dumb magazine called Voici where they printed a photograph of Lily-Rose, a long-lens shot from very far away, and I just went ballistic. You can sue them - I've sued a couple of times, Vanessa's sued and we win every time - but this time I was beyond suing. I just wanted to beat whoever was responsible into the earth - I just wanted to rip him apart.


131. I want to do kiddie movies now. I'm fed up with adult movies - most of them stink. At a certain point with movies it becomes all about mathematics: this has to lead up to this, this has to lead up to that - you're always bound by some kind of formula. But since having kids and watching lots of animated cartoons and all those great old Disney films, I think they're better, they're much better. They're more fun and they take more risks.


132. I would never be disrespectful to my country, to the people, especially the kids who are over there serving in the armed forces. My uncle was wounded in Vietnam, paralyzed from the neck down. I would never say those things the way they claim I said them.





133. When I was a kid, we watched the Vietnam War on the six o'clock news, and it was desensitizing. You felt you were watching a war film; meanwhile you were really watching these guys getting blown to bits. Parents need to protect their kids from watching that stuff.


134. "Film star," "movie star" - whatever they want to try to call you is limiting, in the sense that I think an actor has to be able to play characters. To separate these things - you know: "leading man," "action hero," "character actor," stuff like that - I guess if I want to be close to anything, it would be a character actor, which is what I think an actor should be. So any of that "movie star" stuff, I just don't buy it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

135. (About Winona Ryder) She's a sweet kid, man. It's always a little weird, you're like: "We used to do this and that, we used to have fun and hang out together." But at least we were able to feel that for each other. I feel real lucky that we got that.


136. (About Winona Ryder) I want our kids to watch Edward Scissorhands and go: "Wow Dad, you and Mom were cool back then." You know? I think that would be really neat.



137. (About his engagement with Winona Ryder) I would love to have another wedding after we get married so that our kids can see us get married.

138. (About Winona Ryder) We have good times. We love going out clubbing in L.A and New York City. We hang out with my old friend Billy, when he's down here and that's great.


139. (About Winona Ryder) I'd die for her. I love her so much. I don't know what I would do without her. She's going though a lot right now. I wish I could just kiss away the pain, make it go away, stop it, kill it! If she, you know, (gets teary eyed) I don't know what I would do. I'd kill myself. I love that girl. I love her. I love her almost more than I love myself.


140. (About his tattoo "Winona Forever") To have the tattoo removed, or erase it, is to try and say it never happened. If I alter it in some way, make it funny - put her next boyfriend's name on top of it, say - it would still be honest.

141. (About Winona Ryder in 90's) Yeah, we're still seeing each other. I'd love to work with her again, you know. She's a great actress, I'd love to find the right project for us to do together!


142. (Recalling his relationship with Winona Ryder) When I hear our song, I get all these memories from when we went out together. Or any song that can on 89 to 93, it makes me think of her and that can suck but half of it makes me really happy.




143. (Recalling his relationship with Winona Ryder) Our song was playing when I first laid my eyes on her and that was "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin and every time it comes on anywhere I think of her eyes.

144. (About seeing Winona Ryder again in 1998) Well, we went out to dinner, just as friends, a couple days ago and we talked about what's going on in life. It's really great that we can just sit and enjoy each other's company. Right now it's hard for us, I just broke up with Kate and she just broke up with Matt. So we can both relate.


145. (About seeing Winona Ryder again in 1998) We had a nice chat and just hung out after nothing big. I hope maybe in the future something could happen again. Maybe, we'll have to see. But I would like that. I'm going to Paris to shoot "The 9th Gate" so maybe after I'll call her again and we can go out sometime.



146. (Thoughts on that night when Johnny got his "Winona Forever" tattoo) I remember thinking about it 3 months after I met her. I knew she was the one. That night, I told my mom about it, she cried. My sisters cried. My niece cried, I think. The guys thought it was cool. So I went out 5 months later, took Noni with me and that's pretty much it.


147. (About Winona Ryder when they were engaged) With her it's different. It even feels different. With my past girlfriends, I felt I didn't really do it with them. Lori, was my first wife. She was great but I feel she didn't really love me for me. Sherilyn was a playboy bunny. I should've stopped when I found that out. She cheated on me and I don't give a *beep* about her. Jen, was a relationship that was so *beep* up. We didn't do anything. I'm not even joking. We didn't do anything. But Winona. It's different. She's my everything. She's my soul, my heart, my girl, my wife to be, my baby's mom, my leading lady. No one will ever fill her shoes. Trust me.

148. (About the first time he made love with Winona Ryder that was a pure virgin) I was going insane that night. I didn't know what the *beep* to do. I had so many questions in my head. What if she hates it? What if she doesn't want to do it? What if she thinks I'm a jerk? All those questions, but I was wrong. Very wrong.


149. (About having sex with Winona Ryder) Ooh it was great. It always is. I mean yeah we have sex. Big deal. Every couple does. We're like any other couple. We do it everywhere. Like other people. We're not aliens, just because we do movies. What's the big deal? It's just sex. I don't go *beep* every girl in front of me. Only Noni. Noni, that's it.

150. (About having sex with Winona Ryder) We do it every night. O yeah. We like it kinky. You know what I mean? All dirty, nasty, some hard *** *beep*...ok I'll shut up now.


151. (During the period he was engaged with Winona Ryder) Would I stop smoking if we have children? A duh. of course. My children's life would be so important. I would never smoke again, which would be very, very, very hard for me but I would do it. I would, really. For Winona and the kids. If I countinUed smoking, I would be a jerk father. You know, teaching my kids bad things. That's not right. I wanna be a good daddy. Just like mine. So yes, to answer your question, yes I would stop smoking.

152. (About masturbation) Masturbation for me is a way of life. I've been training for this day since I was 13 years old and I'm happy with my performance today.

153. (About his split with Kate Moss) I don't think I was very good for her. We walked away from each other.


154. (About Kate Moss) She's super sharp, really smart and (has) got a great heart. She's a good mum, and she just happens to be human, and the press wouldn't allow that, and that's unforgivable.



155. (About having children with Vanessa Paradis) I'm glad I didn't have children until Vanessa and I got together. I think when you are young you are hoping that this person will be the right one, the one you are going to be in love with forever but sometimes you want that so much you create something that isn't really there. I went through a number of relationships when I was younger. I was very young when I married Lori Anne and probably it was because I was trying to create a situation. We married in 1983 but it didn't last very long and that was probably because I wasn't ready to handle such a commitment. I then got engaged to Jennifer Grey, Winona Ryder and Kate Moss but it wasn’t until I met Vanessa that life started to be real.


156. (About Angelina Jolie) I've had the honor and pleasure and gift of having known Elizabeth Taylor for a number of years. You know, you sit down with her, she sits there and cusses like a sailor and she's hilarious. Angie's got the same kind of thing, you know, the same approach.

157. (About Angelina Jolie) She's a real treat to get into the ring with. She's a lot of fun and funny! She's deeply committed to the work, has a great approach, and is very smart. She also has a very, very absurd and perverse sense of humor. We met, oddly, right before we did this, which was just weird because we have a lot of mutual friends, acquaintances, and people we've worked with. When we sat down together, it was kind of instant. We got each other. Within minutes we were yakking about our kids, the perils of parenthood, and all that fun stuff.


158. (His answer when asked if he would work again with Angelina Jolie) Boy, I certainly would like to think so. I hope so. If she'll have me again, I'd be more than happy. She's a good girl. I have a lot of respect for her. In the face of all that she, Brad, and the kids have to deal with, being globally under the microscope every second of the day, she's grounded. She's as cool, normal, and low key (a woman) as you'd want to meet. She doesn't take it all that seriously. She is a wonderful mommy, a great mommy, which you've gotta take your hat off to as well. And she's out there trying to do things in the world, to help. She's impressive. She's a force.

159. (About Angelina Jolie) Angelina is a perfect beauty, like a walking poem.


160. (About having a family with Vanessa Paradis) It took me a while to figure out what I wanted and then I met the woman who made me see what I was missing. But raising a family and spending so much time with our kids is what has really had the most calming influence on me. They became my focus and it put things into perspective. Nothing makes me happier than watching Vanessa and my kids and just realising that they’re my world. It’s pure joy.

161. (About Amber Heard) When I first saw Amber, it was like seeing an old time movie star like Lauren Bacall.


162. (About Vanessa Paradis and their daughter) What’s beautiful? May daughter is beautiful, my girl is beautiful, my life is beautiful, my family is beautiful. There are a lot of beautiful things.




163. (About Vanessa Paradis) Vanessa, for me, has been kind of a miracle.

164. (About Vanessa Paradis) We were already going out when she finished shooting "The girl on the bridge". At the same time, I was shooting "The ninth gate". We saw each other every single night, every single day, we couldn't stay far one to another for long. You couldn't possibly tear us apart. When I first saw "The girl on the bridge", I was deeply impressed by what was coming out of the movie, beyond the image on the screen. You can't see her method of acting, no real effort, no work; she is just the most alive person, a genuine one. I was truly and deeply impressed. I'm quite sure, the day our Lily-Rose will be in age to understand and see this movie, she would feel the same pride I feel for her mother.
There is something really rare and precious in this movie.


165. (About Vanessa Paradis) I believe in something at first sight, absolutely. But you can never truly love a person till you know them. You have this feeling, but you can't really explain it. I had that when I first saw Vanessa. When I met up with her again, I saw her across a room, just her back, and it was an instant sort of: "Oh my God, what's happening?' But then I had no way of knowing how great a person she was, and how great a mother she would turn out to be. She's unbelievable."

166. Vanessa is my wife and I, I'm her husband. We don't care to have a piece of paper to prove it. Someday, maybe, Lily Rose will come and ask us why aren't we married ? Now, I don't want to ruin Vanessa last name with my awful Depp name. It's so pretty Vanessa Paradis !


167. (About Vanessa Paradis) She was wearing a dress with an exposed back and i saw that back and that neck, and then she turned around and i saw those eyes, and - boom! - my life as a single man was done.

168. (About meeting with Vanessa Paradis again) We met briefly years ago. I remember thinking: "Ouch." It was just hello, but the contact was electric. That was in 1993. It wasn't until 1998, when I went to do the Polanski film The Ninth Gate and was in the lobby of the hotel, getting messages. I turned around and across the lobby saw this back. She had on a dress with an exposed back. I thought: "Wow." Suddenly the back turned and she looked at me. I walked right over, and there were those eyes again. I knew it was her. She asked: "Do you remember me?" I said: "Oh yeah." We had a drink, and it was over with at that point. I knew I was in big trouble.


169. After we started dating I worked a long, long day and night, and I came home, back to my apartment in Paris, at three or four in the morning. Vanessa was there, and she was cooking for me. That's not to say that a woman must cook for a man, that's not what I'm saying, but it took me by surprise. It was a whole new ball game for me. I'd never experienced that before. It was like she was a woman not afraid to be a woman. I hope that doesn't sound weird or sexist, because it's not. I'm totally in agreement that women are the stronger, smarter, more evolved sex.

170. When I met Vanessa, I was still drifting. But being with her has just blown me away and made me a better man. Ten years ago I never would have believed in the kind of life I have now as a father, although I still wonder if it's OK to be this happy.


171. My childhood was strange, though then again, it was normal to us. It wasn't until I started going to other kids' houses and hanging out, having dinner, seeing what a family is supposed to do that I saw that we weren't normal.

172. I experimented with drugs and I experimented with everything that little boys do - vandalism, throwing eggs at cars, breaking and entering schools and destroying a room. But I finally got to a point where I looked around and said: "This is not getting me anywhere. I'm stagnating with these guys." They were getting drunk and high every weekend. I got out.


173. I have a lot of love inside me and a lot of anger inside as well. If I love somebody, then I'm gonna love 'em. If I'm angry and I've got to lash out or hit somebody, I'm going to do it, and I don't care what the repercussions are. Anger doesn't pay rent, it's gotta go. It's gotta be evicted. (1995)




174. (On aging) You start getting cracks in your face, and f... it, why not? I earned it.

175. For many years they said I was a wild man. Now they say I'm a former wild man, former bad boy, former rebel. I guess "former" because now I'm a dad. The media tries to stuff you into a mold. It happens to everybody. (2004)


176. (about Winona Forever) It's here on my arm. It was the kind of thing you do on the spur of the moment - F... it, lets do it. Then you break up, but it's still there: a girl's name on my arm. It can turn a situation a little sticky. I changed it to Wino Forever, which is actually a bit more accurate.

177. I'm attracted to the people who are considered freaks. Since I was young, I've identified with characters considered by "normal" society to be outcasts and oddballs.

178. I do have an affinity for damaged people, in life, in roles. I don't know why.

179. What can I say (about George W. Bush)? He's somebody's kid. He's somebody's father. God bless him. Good luck. You know what I mean? I don't agree with his politics, and I'm not going to pretend to, but I don't agree with a lot of people's politics. (2004)


180. I remember being in seventh grade and I was one of the kids that was considered a burnout. I had the most intense crush on this very popular girl. I pined for this girl, like beyond Romeo and Juliet. Shocking. I just chewed my tongue up for her. Eighth grade comes along, we hang out a little at those parties where you end up making out. So we did that and I just couldn't have been happier. Then she goes for the football guy, and leaves me just dangling in the breeze. Years later, after I dropped out of high school. I'm playing a club. I'm on stage and I look out and I'm like: "F**ck, it's her!" So I finish the set and I go directly to the bar where she's sitting and I walk up to her and it's that face, man - incredible. And I went: "It's so nice to see you!" And I look at her and she's 250 pounds! She is mammoth! She's as wide as this table, but her face is still the same. And I went: "Oh my, nice to see you - how many kids do you have?" And she had four kids. And I thought: "What fitting payback for f**cking breaking my heart when I was a little kid." (1995)

181. (about The Paparazzi Incident) We were at a restaurant, and Vanessa was extremely pregnant. All they wanted were photographs of me and Vanessa and the belly. At that point I thought: "Man, I'm not one of those whiny actors who says: "Oh, the paparazzi, they won't leave me alone." I could give a f**ck about it. However, on this particular night I just decided: "Look, this is my girl. This is our first baby. I'm not going to let you f... people turn this into a circus. You ain't turning this deeply, profoundly beautiful, spiritual, life-changing experience into a novelty. Not without a fight". I went out and talked to them. I said: "Look, guys, I know what you're after. I understand you have a job to do. But you're just not going to turn this into a circus. Just give us a break. You're not going to get what you want tonight. I'll see you another time." They were very aggressive: "F**ck you, Johnny." That kind of shit. I swung around and told Vanessa: "Go out the front door, get in the car so they don't get us together or get your belly. She did. She was in the car, so everything was going to be cool, but they were so shitty. One guy was trying to hold the door open. He had his hand wedged in there. I looked down at the ground, and there was a 17-inch wooden plank, a two-by-two or something. Instinct took over. I picked it up and whacked the guys hand. I went outside and said: "Now I want you to take my picture, because the first f... guy who hits a flash, I'm going to kick his skull in. Let's go. Take my picture." They didn't take my picture. I was livid. They walked backward down the street. I walked them away from Vanessa in the car and down this other street. It was beautiful. It was well worth it. It was kind of poetic. The next thing I knew, I saw flashing lights on the buildings around me. And a paddy wagon. It was brief. It was around 11:30 or midnight, and I was out by five or six the next morning. No one filed charges against me, because they didn't want their names exposed. Had they filed charges they would have had to give their names and would have lost their anonymity. The cops were actually terrific, real sweet. As I said, I didn't mind as much before I had kids. Everything changes when it comes to my children. (2004)

182. (About River Phoenix's death) What a waste. What a waste of a talented, beautiful guy. Obviously, whatever "it" is, he had it. He was luminous - a brilliant guy with great taste. But on the other side of that, he was a kid, and that can be a dangerous thing to be, especially in that world, being in that position. I was very lucky I pulled out of it, but River - he didn't get out. There was so much ahead for him. Like the beauty and the luxury of making a family.

183. (About his daugther's name) In fact it was the only name that we'd come up with for a girl: "Lily-Rose". We both loved the name "Lily", and I think Vanessa's mom suggested the "Rose" part. My mom's name is Betty-Sue and we wanted something that sounded kinda like "Betty-Sue", that sort of southern thing. So "Lily-Rose". And "Melody", which is her middle name, was after a Serge Gainsbourg song called "Melody Nelson".

184. (Sweeney Todd's song Johanna) The one that was probably the most challenging was "Johanna." It's such an emotional song. And as far as I was concerned, when Stephen Sondheim writes the note and it has to be held for this many beats, you do it. I don't care if you're from Miramar or Kentucky or you're an ass and you don't sing. It doesn't matter. Don't be a pussy, you f**ckin' hold that note. You can't cheat. You can't whisper. You can't do a William Shatner thing. You just gotta belt it out.

185. Farting... It's beautifully, blatantly anti-social.




186. (About Vanessa Paradis and Lily-Rose) I found a girl, fell in love, she had a baby, and I fell in love again.

187. My family is my paradise ! What really cheers me up is to know that they are all doing fine. This is the reason why we always travel all together. Today what I enjoy the most are simple things such as : my family, a nice glass of wine and a cigarette.


188. Marriage definitely isn't against my principles. But in our eyes we are already married: she's my wife, I'm her husband, we have two children. Lily-Rose Melody and Jack both have my family-name, Depp, although afterwards I regret that a bit. Vanessa has the perfect name. If we get married one day, I would like to have it: "Johnny Paradis". A bit like Johnny Halliday. 

189. When Vanessa brought out her last album, "Bliss", I was very proud. And not just because it was her. I knew the process of the maturing of the album. I knew at which point she gave herself. I have assisted at that as a witness. "Bliss" is a pure work. Like Vanessa herself, who always shows that she's incredibly wise, incredibly funny. Generous and French. She grew up very fast. The environment of show business didn't leave her a choice. I also admire "La Fille sur le Pont" (The Girl on the Bridge), by Patrice Leconte. Especially the first ten minutes where she talks to the camera. That isn't acted. That's really her. The Americans brought up with vulgar tabloids - break up of Pamela Anderson, last brushing of David Hasselhoff - are probably waiting for us to break up. Not the French. They are happy to see people in love. They encourage us. They approve of us. They give us their blessing. They have a side of "good future" that deeply touches me.
(2003)


190. (On being named the sexiest man alive in 2003 by People Magazine) My sister called me and said, Hey, guess what. It's so odd. I was glad I was in Paris at the time, because I thought nobody would know. Then, at the bar at the Ritz Hotel, a guy goes: "Hey, man, congratulations". A friend of mine ran into Gerard Depardieu. When I saw my friend, he said: "Oh, by the way, Gerard says to tell the sexiest man alive &". I mean, if somebody actually believes it, I'm deeply flattered, but I don't get it myself. It's mortifying. You think: "Where does that come from? Why did they choose me? Why now? I guess its just my time".

191. (About his long-lasting relationship with Vanessa) We have a miraculous understanding of one another and we don't ever talk about the business. We don't talk about her work or my work. In that sense our life is very, very simple. We are great, great friends and we're in love.

192. (Johnny's apology after comparing photoshoots to being raped) I am truly sorry for offending anyone in any way. I never meant to. It was a poor choice of words on my part in an effort to explain a feeling. I understand there is no comparison and I am very regretful. In an effort to correct my lack of judgment, please accept my heartfelt apology.



What do you think of Johnny Depp's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts